Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: I will just start from the top w/ a basic list of 4whl drive probs but basicaly i just need to get my truck over the snow bank and go to work!:S: "WONT LOCK IN 4X4"!! (THATS THE MAIN PROB) but the "the 4wheel light" stays on when i DONT have the tcase selector IN in 4wheel but goes off when i lock it in? "4 high" has'nt worked in some time? and when it quit locking in altogether 2day i noticed my vacume lines are broke in @ least 2 places. now can i temporarily just re-route the vac lines down to the CAD thing on my axle to just keep it locked in full time until this weekend when i can fix it? Please help and thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
First, when you put the transfer case into 4WD (and shut off the engine - for safety), is it possible to rotate the driveshaft by hand? It should not rotate.

Next, while still in 4WD jack up either of the front wheels so it just clears the ground and try to rotate the driveshaft again. It still should not rotate. If the driveshaft does rotate, the transfer case is the problem.

Try to rotate the raised tire - if the tire rotates but the driveshaft does not, the problem is in the front axle. The problem is usually with the CAD vacuum lines, and you said yours are bad..

Your symptoms could be caused by reversed vacuum lines.

The outboard port (closest to the passengers side tire) is what locks the CAD.

If you connect a vacuum line directly to it, the CAD should be locked. Applying vacuum to the inboard port is what unlocks the CAD.

Its OK to drive on hard pavement with the CAD locked, but NOT OK with the transfer case in 4WD (hi or low positions).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much Art! I will get up early in the morning and start in on it (hope i can get into shop! Broke every record for snowfall/blizzard ) thank you so much for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts