Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 12v has recently started giving me troubles starting periodically in the mornings after a rain or temp change. Temp hasn't gone below the low 70's though. It will crank and fire whats left in the injectors, but then would die. I've kept cranking and even floored the gas. It would gain small rpm, then stall out. Shoots white/gray smoke when roughly running. Just changed the fuel and air filters when it started giving me issues. Past times it was able to start once the air filter was removed, still had a hard time to get going. Once it starts there is no issues. Runs and drives great. This issue is not a regular occurrence, but is becoming more common. Any advice or ideas?

· Super Moderator
25,392 Posts
Fuel shutoff not pulling all the way up.

Possibly bad fuel line and air is being sucked into the supply line.

· Registered
2 Posts
First issue is one I've experienced before, It's a bad ground issue! In fact, a bad ground could be the whole problem!
Otherwise, for Diesel engines, trouble starting below "normal temperatures" is common! Best solutions are: 1. An engine warmer on the engine or use a Oil Heater unit; 2. Use a slow charger on the Battery overnight, the extra power will help the engine start...

· Registered
18,049 Posts
Otherwise, for Diesel engines, trouble starting below "normal temperatures" is common!
False. A properly maintained 12 valve will fire on the first or second revolution in cold weather. The OP probably has a fuel system problem.

· Registered
‘97 2500 CC LB 380k Laramie SLT
10 Posts
Agree with GAmes, it sounds like fuel issues. Mine is this old too, and reading here I’ve learned this could be a cracked deteriorated fuel line losing its prime overnight and sucking air on starting as cold weather causes the rubber line to contract. Understanding that after 20+ years use it’s just good practice to replace the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump anyway.

Also if you or PO hasn’t already, it’s recommended to permanently remove the fuel heater (as the wiring to mine had melted away) and while there clean the pre fuel filter screen next to the lift pump.

When I replace my fuel line someday soon.. was intending to install a tank sump with dual fittings, one to pull fuel and one to return fuel to the bottom of the fuel tank. Oh and while there, will fix that fuel gage that’s never worked!

· Registered
18,049 Posts
When I replace my fuel line someday soon.. was intending to install a tank sump with dual fittings, one to pull fuel and one to return fuel to the bottom of the fuel tank.
Why? There isn't any benefit to a sump and I doubt a return line to the bottom of the tank would work anyway.

Unless you live in the rust belt there isn't any need to run the rubber line all the way to the tank. I still have the original steel lines along the frame and attached the new rubber hoses to them. With the fuel filter removed to access the return line it is about a 20 minute job.

· Registered
597 Posts
My 95 12v has recently started giving me troubles starting periodically in the mornings after a rain or temp change. Temp hasn't gone below the low 70's though. It will crank and fire whats left in the injectors, but then would die. I've kept cranking and even floored the gas. It would gain small rpm, then stall out. Shoots white/gray smoke when roughly running. Just changed the fuel and air filters when it started giving me issues. Past times it was able to start once the air filter was removed, still had a hard time to get going. Once it starts there is no issues. Runs and drives great. This issue is not a regular occurrence, but is becoming more common. Any advice or ideas?
I would say make sure the fuel filter was seated properly. Also make sure the shutoff solenoid is moving freely and fully. Could possibly be a slight air ingress on the fuel system that the lift pump overcomes when it’s running but not when it’s cranking. Odds are if it happened right after the fuel filter change, it’s probably related.

· Registered
1,666 Posts
I run a sump on my truck with inlet and outlet and rubber lines. Could be ur fuel heater or a line sucking air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.