Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to install a 6 speed manual in my old 12 valve . I look forward to have a transmission that I can tow my trailer with . I found a transmission that is suppose to have 10k miles on it . Going to check it out next week to get started with this project.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Will you be documenting the swap? Always love a good build thread lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: krs

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you be documenting the swap? Always love a good build thread lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure I don't know how to do the pictures and post but I try to keep a written how to or what I learned . Not sure what a low mileage transmission is worth but having 6 gears is worth something to me . . If I was just driving around town unloaded the 4 speed would be ok

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
I love my g56, I wish it had a higher overdrive though. Works great for towing heavy

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Same here. We have the early model. The very tail end 5.9's and then the 6.7's had the models with a higher geared final drive. I'm always reaching for 7th.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Mine is out of an '06 with the lower OD gear. It is lower than the NV4500 had. No problem, I just drive a little slower.

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Mine is out of an '06 with the lower OD gear. It is lower than the NV4500 had. No problem, I just drive a little slower.
Serious miles on your truck! Mine's carried a 2200# popup on it's back 24/7 for 13+ years now. I just hit 100K.:)

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
I put 118 k on mine in one year one time. I'm down to about 45k a year now.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Funny thing. My trucks rpms on the highway went way up, yet my mpg improved.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
So did mine.

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Yeah,the best mpg I've ever gotten was with 285-70-17's despite the rpm's. They took a small hit going to the 75 series and really took a hit with my 35-12.50-17's.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Im on 285 75 16s now. Trying to decide whats next because j need tires

·
Registered
380 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy mine and always in for a build thread!

Unfortunately, the one I have has unknown miles on it and even though it looked great inside before I installed it, I'm thinking it needs a rebuild. It's awfully noisy, even with 6 quarts of 75W90 synthetic in it.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
How noisey? The g56 is a big transmission and it's going be a bit noisy. Mine certainly isn't quiet, but I wouldn't call it noisy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've tried to get a video of the noise, but it hasn't really panned out very well. I'll try to upload what I have. Get's louder with speed (and it's not rollover or torque coming through). It's a pretty steady vibration and at anything over around 73 mph, sounds like it's gonna come apart. Which is fine for the most part as I don't usually drive much over 70, but when passing a truck on the highway or going downhill and picking up speed, I wonder if it's gonna fly apart.

Of note, my damper is a stock one for my CPL, which didn't have notches in it so I had a guy put one in (because I missed the fact that there's supposed to be 2). I'm wondering if I have vibration as a result and I'm hearing it through the transmission.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Seems youtube is nice to me today...

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
A bad damper will certainly cause the transmission to make noise. A new damper wouldn't hurt. Mine also makes that noise if you put weight on the gearshift lever, I think that is normal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks! Glad to hear the noise is largely normal. I think after some research I'm going to just bite the bullet and go to the FluidAmpr and be done with it. The other option (ATI I think is the name) didn't get rave reviews when compared to FluidAmpr. My damper was new 20K miles ago and I can't imagine it being bad already, but having a notch cut into it (and not another one on the other side) may be throwing it off enough. Certainly enough to make me think about it, which is contrary to the point of going to a Cummins in the first place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts