Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaking fuel. in oil as well.

Runs normal. Leak is between injector pump and fuel filter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Art

·
SC Chapter President
1,289 Posts
You might have a leak in the pump itself, or you might even have an injector stuck open and it's washing the cylinder and the excess fuel is leaking past the rings and getting in the oil. Someone else will come along with more knowledge than me. Where's dual k20s when you need him?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah , there is definetly lots of fuel in the oil. Hope it's not more than 10%. I'll get an oil analysis done to be sure.

There is a lot of fuel coming out outside as well. If it was an injector there would be no external leak correct?

Thanks

Art

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
My bet is a cracked return line in red below. Doesn't explain how fuel is getting in the oil though unless it's somehow getting in where the dipstick tube joins the block.

Attachments

·
SC Chapter President
1,289 Posts
Yeah , there is definetly lots of fuel in the oil. Hope it's not more than 10%. I'll get an oil analysis done to be sure.

There is a lot of fuel coming out outside as well. If it was an injector there would be no external leak correct?

Thanks

Art
You're correct. The fuel would be injected when its supposed to, but what it would do is any residual pressure left in the line would be bled off into the cylinder. You would have a strong odor of unspent fuel at the exhaust. I've seen them before to where you couldn't stand beside the truck for it being so strong. My guess is the seals in the pump are bad, and thats where your problem is. You have fuel in the top part of the p-pump, and oil in the bottom to lube the camshaft inside the pump. The return for the excess oil is dumped right back into the crankcase. It's an educated guess, although it might not explain the external leak though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just had to replace the supply line to the pump from the fuel filter cracked right where it bolts to the ip but again that doesn't explain the fuel in the oil

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was the return line. Tossed another in this morning.

My concern for the fuel in oil I think was more from the stress of driving the truck home leaking fuel and watching the gauges. The stock oil pressure was a little lower than I expected it to be, and the oil looked thinner obviously when hot, giving a diluted appearance. Just wanted to be sure, and not destroy the turbo and bearings. Either way I'll change oil and inspect the filter.

I'm looking into a really good quality solution, with a proper lining that should completely eliminate most hose problems.

Thanks again,

·
SC Chapter President
1,289 Posts
Thats what were here for. You will get answers here unlike other forums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i know its late but my filter to pump line did the same thing, right at the bolt, cummins dose a retro, solid steel to steel brade backto steel to stop vibration. soaked the sht out my truck when it happened, right on the I5

·
Registered
876 Posts
i know its late but my filter to pump line did the same thing, right at the bolt, cummins dose a retro, solid steel to steel brade backto steel to stop vibration. soaked the sht out my truck when it happened, right on the I5
Mine just cracked today.:buttkick:

Do you have apart number for the retro?

Art

·
Registered
27 Posts
just contact a cummins dealer, dodge will try to find the original solid steel line, and you willwait for a few days, contact cummins and they will have a few on the shelf, it is a retro solid steel, to steel brade and back to steel( takes out any engine vibrations). trust me i found out the hard way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts