Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a '95 alternator on my '93. the truck previously had an internally regulated GM alternator on it that didnt work worth a crap. i installed a factory '93 harness when i installed the '95 alternator, so its all wired correctly.

my question is this: how can i be sure its working properly? my voltage gauge shows high-11 to low-12 volts almost all the time while running (i let the truck run for over an hour). unlike most '93 w350's, mine has an electric lift pump in the tank, so i know its pulling at least a little bit of power when running without lights.

any ideas or advice? i dont want to get stranded anywhere. is there any other electrical component that could be causing such a low voltage? i would assume that i should be seeing between 13 and 14 volts, but i guess i could be wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put a meter on the battery, it should be at least 13 volts there.
i'll put a meter on it as soon as i get home.

is it true that the crankshaft position sensor has something to do with alternator output? i thought i read somewhere that the computer somehow regulates voltage based on RPM data gained from the CPS, but i could be mistaken.

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
Turns the ASD relay on/off via a signal from the CPS. The voltage is controlled via the 'puter which uses a signal from the electrical system to sense the required amount.

If you know you have it wired correctly, then ground the proper field terminal (the ground not the pos. hot) which wiull in turn, full field the alt and it will let you know. However, I have never tried this on a truck with the computer so it could destroy it. I dunno.

Take the alt off and take it to a shop that can test it on a bench tester.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts