Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a dodge cummins 95-99 and would like advice on what to look out for and what the pitfalls of these trucks are. I know the automatics are junk and would like to find a manual. Any issues with these motors? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure the dow pin work has been done or be prepared to get it done, and in my 97, it lost 5th gear...but no probs other than those

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If you get a 99 check fuel pressure...Check the front end on any of these trucks as most of them have worn out ball joints and ad drag links to the 4X4 models.

5th gear problem most of the time is th enut coming off due to lugging the truck. Easy fix with a tac weld on the nut... And easy to get to also..

Oh here is a shameless plug.. My 99 is for sale for a couple grand less than book value and is over 500rwhp and eveything has been done to it.. Email me at [email protected] if you want more detail..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Any 24v's check to make sure its not a "53" block

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
i would stick with the 12v engines. get KDP fixed and 5th gear fixed. If those 2 things are the fixed and you do regular maintance you will have nothing to worry about because the engine will probably out live you.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
You don't know as much as you think you do...
Thats right. The autos are not all that bad there are worse out there. They cann easily be built to handle more power and abuse.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
I have the auto in my 96'. I did not want the 5pd manual. I want this truck to go fast. you have to give a manual 50 to 100hp(comparing the same truck) more to make it as fast as a auto(good built tranny of course). I am sure people may argue that but if you want quick 1/4 times auto will get the HP on the ground to get the times.

I have plans to put a Goerend in it. Its costly but they will last.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
you should say go quick...A 5 speed is as fast as an auto and maybe faster from a roll..

Ihave had both. a 12v 4X4 auto and now a 24v 5speed 2wd.. I would never go back to an auto or 4X4 again.. or a 12valver...I am not knocking these but for my taste the truck I have now is what I want..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts