Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

95 2500 with Crazy front wheel hop????

14968 Views 32 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  benbryan85
My 95 2500 with 159,000 miles is having a crazy wheel hop issue! I'ts got a leveling kit with 295-75-16 Nitto tires, new trac bar (stock), new shocks and the steering stabilizer is good. the problem is that at about 45mph and up if I hit any bumps the front wheels start to bounce like crazy and wont stop unless I dynomite the brakes!! What gives??
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
sometimes after a leveling kit install it messes the camber up on the front end alinment it may need an alinment

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was thinking that but the wheel hop just started about 6 months ago and the kit has been on for 2 years. could this still be the problem??

· Registered
884 Posts
Jack up the front and grab the top of. The wheel and pull out then push back in if it moves any its a wheel bearing. Best. Thing to do is push the top with your foot though. Or it could be a shock. Goin bad

· Registered
722 Posts
i read in another thread that the stock trac bar is junk ,,,theres an aftermarket one that makes the world of difference...some performance brand

· AlGores worst nightmare
1,377 Posts
There are a couple aftermarket track bars, .: THUREN FABRICATION :. is what I have, DTT makes one, and probably others. You can also buy a kit to convert to the '03 up bar, which has a better design.
You could have bad bearings or even a bad tire. Try rotating them. Get under the front and have a friend wobble the steering wheel back and forth slowly while looking for "play" in any front end components. Check all tie-rod ends, steering box, track bar, wheel bearings, ball joints, the frame around the track bar mount, etc... Anything loose needs replaced.
This happens usually with a lift because the caster in the front goes out of adjustment, try an alighment.
The problem is known as the "death wobble", search for that.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Bosses truck did that and it was bad tires one time and out of balace another

· Registered
198 Posts
I would really look at the tires. One thing you can try that is free is to rotate your tires and see if your shake changes or goes away. You may find a large clump of dirt in your rim while you are rotating them even.

· Registered
2,129 Posts
I have the same exact problem in my 96!!! I havent tried fixing it yet though.

· Registered
322 Posts
my death wobble for years was just rotors or something i put all new rotors and calipers and gone! Don't make sence
none i got bad ball-joints and broke trac bar bushing and still no death shake?

Radius arm bushing???????

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I did rotate the tires about 2k miles ago and no change! I"ve tried afew different front tire pressures and no change either?? I found that the drivers side lower ball joint is bad but not real bad, I plan to change all 4?? ram tuff96 suggested that it could be the rotors/calipers?? One thing I've noticed is that under medium braking it likes to buck back and forth alittle, so this could be the problem, anyone else run into this?? What would be the best way to check if the control arms need new bushings?

I plan on having a full allignment and wheel balance done on payday so I'll get back on here and update you with the findings. That is if they will do an allignment with one ratty ball joint.

· Registered
112 Posts
I went through the same thing a couple years ago bad wheel hop, it would get worse when i hit a bump. Mine was the track bar,put a new one in and the truck drove great again. Good luck.

· Registered
63 Posts
I'm still trying to solve this problem as well. I have a .05" play on the upper driver side balljoint, but everything else is tight or new. Its not the death wobble because the steering wheel doesn't turn back and forth. I'm also going to buy new tires as the ones I have are 215's. I'll follow up. Would cab corner support rot contribute to this? I can feel the floor getting torn up with my foot.

· Registered
9,898 Posts
their are many causes for the wobble/hop. It can be something as simple as an off balance tire!

After doing my lift and big bias ply balloons for tires, i had wicked wobbles. some tweaking on the alignment has pretty much cured it. But... If i go out playing in the snow and then hit the highway with the rims packed full of snow/ice it will immediately start going crazy!

· Registered
722 Posts
My 95 did the same thing, I tried all the above the only thing that fixed it was to remove the level kit and install the stock set up, it never happened again.
ok heres the deal on a level kit ....
1: you should replace the stock trac bar with an adjustable trac bar, cuz when you lift the truck the axle will come over to the drivers side about 3/4 of an inch throwing every thing out of Dynamics!!!

2:you will prolly have to install a set of ball jiont eccentrics to get the correct caster and camber.

3: a steering box stabilizer is a big too do!!! you feel the difference right away with big tires on the truck , really gets rid of the wandering front end.

for extra measure poly control arm bushings

4: and replace all worn steering components if possile with the Luke Ends

5: get the correct shocks

Now doing all that your truck should steer and handle better then she was brand new, I did all I stated above and my truck feels like a slot car..

just ck out my sig..if anyone has any questions just pm me ...good luck

· Registered
9,898 Posts
2:you will prolly have to install a set of ball jiont eccentrics to get the correct caster and camber.

The eccentrics are only needed to adjust camber and cross caster. None of which are effected by a leveling/lift kit

Though the caster (adjusted by the lover control arm eccentric bolts) should be re-set after a leveling kit. lifting the front end creates positive caster and potential death wobble, so have it set back to stock specs after doing a leveling kit!

· Registered
722 Posts
The eccentrics are only needed to adjust camber and cross caster. None of which are effected by a leveling/lift kit

Though the caster (adjusted by the lover control arm eccentric bolts) should be re-set after a leveling kit. lifting the front end creates positive caster and potential death wobble, so have it set back to stock specs after doing a leveling kit!
well my truck had a .4 and a .6 neg camber which i brought to 0 and my caster instead of tweeking the control arm ecceentric to get a .3 cross caster i wanted a caster of 3.2 and 3.5... i centered my control arm bolts and did the fine tuning with the ball jionts. I wanted the axle to sit square in the frame..

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I replaced my left lower ball joint (checked the other 3), Hubs are solid, rotors, pads and track bar (again), then had all four wheels balanced, then got an allignment back to factory spec (factoring in the 1.5 leveling kit)!! The dude that alligned the truck let me help and watch everything he did. I was hoping to see the caster or camber way off, or atleast something obviously wrong or out of adjustment, but no, all that was wrong was the toe, it was about 1 degree to far in. $60 for less than 1 full crank on the drag link??? So here I am 2 new shocks, new brakes (rotors and pads), new track bar, new lower left BJ, tires balanced, fresh allignment and Im sill scared less to hit even the smallest bump???:banghead:
Whats next?? Anyone think it might be the tires 295/75/16 Nitto Terra graplers, D rated?? I'm thinking about installing dual front shocks, would this help?? what about dual steering stabilizers? I think the next upgrade will be poly control arm bushings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.