Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I assume you have a 4x4 truck. The solid axle does not ride as smooth as a normal car type front end. There was a thread in the 1st gen section recently about a smooth riding spring. That might help some if it is available for your truck.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/912762-soft-ride-springs.html

A big issue is the chosen shocks. If you have "heavy duty" shocks they cause a rougher ride. The best acceptable ride comes from shocks that are rated as "OEM" replacement. They ride about like the factory intended the truck to ride. When you get into the heavy duty shocks they ride rougher as they have less rebound action.

If you want to see just how soft your truck can ride take the shocks off and go for a 1 mile ride. It will be bouncy. That is the softest possible ride you can have. Now install some OEM style shocks and you have the best ride with control possible unless you add softer springs.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
IIRC you price matched some Bilsteins local to you, right?
I bought KYB shocks. Advance auto has them. I am not sure about the bilsteins. Advance auto online will price match. Advance auto in the box store would not. It took me about 1/2 hour online getting it to happen. They needed the webpage that showed the same parts at a better price.

The only reason I tried the price match was local exchange when they wear out. The disadvantage was paying sales tax. The advantage was being able to enjoy a local store handling the lifetime warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts