Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my 95 rides like a wheel loader. as im sure many of yours do, anyone found any products that largely help ride quality and steering?? would new front shocks help? how about ball joints, and bushings? ive looked all over but cant find a front end bushing kit.. any input?

·
Registered
393 Posts
okay so my 95 rides like a wheel loader. as im sure many of yours do, anyone found any products that largely help ride quality and steering?? would new front shocks help? how about ball joints, and bushings? ive looked all over but cant find a front end bushing kit.. any input?
Mine does as well. I am interested in this topic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im looking to not spend a ton, you as well i assume? lol

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I assume you have a 4x4 truck. The solid axle does not ride as smooth as a normal car type front end. There was a thread in the 1st gen section recently about a smooth riding spring. That might help some if it is available for your truck.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/912762-soft-ride-springs.html

A big issue is the chosen shocks. If you have "heavy duty" shocks they cause a rougher ride. The best acceptable ride comes from shocks that are rated as "OEM" replacement. They ride about like the factory intended the truck to ride. When you get into the heavy duty shocks they ride rougher as they have less rebound action.

If you want to see just how soft your truck can ride take the shocks off and go for a 1 mile ride. It will be bouncy. That is the softest possible ride you can have. Now install some OEM style shocks and you have the best ride with control possible unless you add softer springs.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I assume you have a 4x4 truck. The solid axle does not ride as smooth as a normal car type front end. There was a thread in the 1st gen section recently about a smooth riding spring. That might help some if it is available for your truck.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/912762-soft-ride-springs.html

A big issue is the chosen shocks. If you have "heavy duty" shocks they cause a rougher ride. The best acceptable ride comes from shocks that are rated as "OEM" replacement. They ride about like the factory intended the truck to ride. When you get into the heavy duty shocks they ride rougher as they have less rebound action.

If you want to see just how soft your truck can ride take the shocks off and go for a 1 mile ride. It will be bouncy. That is the softest possible ride you can have. Now install some OEM style shocks and you have the best ride with control possible unless you add softer springs.
IIRC you price matched some Bilsteins local to you, right?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a service body on mine so it rides well for a 3/4 ton just get one of those lmao

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a service body on mine so it rides well for a 3/4 ton just get one of those lmao
We have a '03 superduty gasser with a service body. Man its unstoppable in the snow and rides pretty good. 12mpg is all it will do though. We surmised the service body was heavy. How heavy? We guessed around 1200. The truck weighed out @8k with a lot of hand tools and a bucket in the bed. 2wd, reg cab.

Even my 2wd long wheel base beats ya to death. Its what you get with a 3/4 ton truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mines got 450k and it rides like my 963 . Ive been looking at thuren and carli but not sure which way im going yet . From what ive read the coilspring front will ride better than leafs , it just has to be set up properly .

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
IIRC you price matched some Bilsteins local to you, right?
I bought KYB shocks. Advance auto has them. I am not sure about the bilsteins. Advance auto online will price match. Advance auto in the box store would not. It took me about 1/2 hour online getting it to happen. They needed the webpage that showed the same parts at a better price.

The only reason I tried the price match was local exchange when they wear out. The disadvantage was paying sales tax. The advantage was being able to enjoy a local store handling the lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
I put a 1000 lb chunk of concrete in the back of my trucks for winter traction.
Makes both the duelly and 4wd ride smoother.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Just ordered some kyb shocks from the local tire store. I was going to go with thuren springs and overland shocks but honestly don't see the ride changing enough to justify the price. 300 out the door for the shocks. I'm sure I could find them cheaper online, but I don't mind supporting local economy. It will all come back around in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I guess my springs are all worn out because mine rides like a caddie. Love it. Zero rattles. I can go down any washboard road and never know it. Potholes, who cares, truck just glides over them. I have Rancho 9000 in-cab adjustable shocks on all fours. I keep them at the lowest setting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts