Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather stock 95 5 speed 4.10 gear ratio with 170,xxx miles on it that has bad paint 70% clearcoat gone and has it's wear and tear all over. no rust.

Guy wants to trade me his 01 sclb 5spd with 270k miles with 150horse injectors crossover tubes button clutch and other add ons. 3.55 gear ratio Has dent in fender and small one in door. Needs paint on hood and both fenders other than that looks good for the miles. Drove today and makes me love it even more.

He has offers me his truck and some boot for my truck what do y'all think

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
The big issue is the electronic fuel injection system. The lift pump has a reputation for dying. Then the injection pump runs on to low a fuel pressure and also needs a funeral. You just kissed around $2,000 goodbye. More if you go to the dealer.

I bought a 1997 12 valve to eliminate this kind of problem. I eliminated most of the electronics that could fail except for the gauges and automatic shifting stuff.

You have 100k less mileage on your truck. Yes, he has a better mpg rear end but you can add the extra power to your truck and still have a unlikely to die injection system.

You both have bad paint. He has dents. Dents are harder to fix than paint. I consider bad paint normal on a dodge. That should not enter into the equation at all.

I think you could add some extra power, maybe change your truck to 4.10 gears and like it as well as the newer truck. You may also find in a few years that emissions will be hitting the 2001 but your truck is exempt. It happened in California. A mechanical diesel engine is getting harder to find. They often sell for more than the 98.5 to 2002 trucks for a reason.

With the higher mileage you have no idea what is worn out (think brake drums, rotors, etc.) and what has been abused and is about ready to die. Do what you want. I would keep the old truck and beef it up or enjoy it as-is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stick with the 12V. There's alot less potential things to go wrong. Plus you would be surprised how easy it is to add power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
iv got an 02 quad cab short bed if interested, 126k western truck noooo rust, auto

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ask yourself these things:

Which truck is more likely to have mechanical troubles that might strand you?
Which truck is more expensive to fix if those troubles occur?
Which truck is more likely to be fixable on the side of the road with ordinary tools?
Which truck will still be running if an EMP hits the US and knocks out most electronics?

Any questions?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm...let me think.

I would probably keep the 12v. That was easier than I thought.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
agreed the 12valve rocks. just get 4X4 if you can. i wish my truck had it lifted trucks

·
Registered
422 Posts
Trade

You guys and some other threads just convinced me. I was considering selling my 98 12v dually 2wd, NV4500. I had found a a 2006 2WD dually with low mileage in really nice condition with the 6 speed. Both have a gooseneck hitch which I need. My 98 is a bit beat up but mechanically sound with 205,000 miles plus a Gear Vendors.

I will keep my 98 and do paint and a new seat and be good to go.

Thanks all you 12 Valvers.

kk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Go to the Classifieds Wanted to Trade section, count how many people want to trade for a 12 valve, count how many want to trade a 12 valve for something else. That should give you an idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts