Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 Cummins will crank over, but will not start. Where do I begin my troubleshooting?

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel solenoid is working correctly as far as I can tell. Cracked open a couple of lines at the injectors, and NO fuel at all.

·
Registered
17,485 Posts
I find it incredible that a person could be a member for nearly four years and not read a few threads to aquaint himself with the common issues these old 12 valves have, or be aware of the search function.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find it incredible that a person could be a member for nearly four years and not read a few threads to aquaint himself with the common issues these old 12 valves have, or be aware of the search function.
Thanks for pointing out all of my shortcomings. It really helps me out.

·
Smokeycummer
961 Posts
Oh and the search function y'all rave about blows , does not ever get the results your looking for .ha just sayin !

97 eclb 4x4 auto

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the helpful links. Installed a fuel pressure gauge at the injector pump inlet. Zero pressure. Guess it must be the lift pump.

·
Registered
349 Posts
No fuel at the injectors..... what I would do is turn the key on and then pull up on the shut off lever to be sure the selenoid is doing it's job and if it is then I would crack the line going into the injector pump from the filter and pump the bulb thingy on the lift pump until fuel comes out the line. If you get no fuel there then you need to see if it's sucking air between the lift pump and the tank or a bad lift pump.

If you get fuel to the injector pump then tighten the line and pump some more until you hear fuel bypassing the over flow valve then crack the injector lines again and crank until fuel comes out then tighten them up and it should start.

Post results and MAYBE something will show up for the next guy that tries the search function.

And maybe we need a thread on how to use the search function because very seldom do I have any luck finding what I need.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pumping the bulb, I do get some fuel to the inj. pump inlet, but not enough to start the engine. I'll mess with it some more this weekend.
I have an electric pump I could hook up temporary, would that be a good thing to try? I guess if it runs with the electric pump that would rule out the rest?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would hook up the electric pump and if it runs your engine then go ahead a get a new lift pump. I wouldn't depend on the electric pump unless it is designed for your truck.

If the electric pump does not supply fuel and you're sure it works, then it maybe sucking air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts