Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add a subwoofer to my truck -- mostly to pick up the low frequency response that 2-way or 3-way speakers drop -- but I don't want to lose behind-the-seat storage. I've been thinking I might try to get something shoehorned under the passenger seat, with an amp under the driver's seat, but that's kind of an oddly shaped space, not to mention small.

Am I screwed? Or is it possible to get an 8" sub under there? Does anyone make anything smaller than that??? A 6" sub? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you dont want to use the space behind the seat, you can remove the center seat and put a sub there. Otherwise, you need to get farmiliar with doing fiberglass work. you can build a glass/MDF box under one of the seats as long as it isnt power. Several years ago there was a thread on one of the other forums i frequent where siomeone did this and got pretty good results. i think he even used a 10

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
i tolk out my center seet and put a 12" there. my local stereo shop sells a custom box for the center and you can keep the storage to:thumbsup

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the center armrest/console as well, so taking that out is a non-starter.

The seats aren't powered, so there's some room under there... just not much. I can move the jack from under the passenger seat, and if I had to, I could probably build an MDF box. It's good to know that it has been done with some success. I don't know anything about building speaker boxes. How much volume a speaker needs to operate in a sealed box, how porting a box affects sound quality, etc., is all foreign to me.

The internet is my friend... I'll keep poking around. If anyone has any drawings of such a speaker enclosure, do send them my way...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
you wont be able to use a ported box under the seat, as the same speaker in a ported box takes appoximately 2x the volume

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if you're still working on this issue... but I'm gonna build myself a new center console with a sub box under a seat. Then make the backrest fold down for an armrest, cup holders, and a little storage box. I should make a bunch on them and sell them...

·
Registered
517 Posts
i put a sony 10 in a 5 gallon bucket, it don't take up much room, i set it against the piller in behind the seat it sounds good and the cylindrical design gives it cleaner sound

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Not sure if you're still working on this issue... but I'm gonna build myself a new center console with a sub box under a seat. Then make the backrest fold down for an armrest, cup holders, and a little storage box. I should make a bunch on them and sell them...
I can direct you to a great thread on another forum about center seat sub boxes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts