Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this might not belong here but it has to do with keeping the truck rollin so maybe. but my 94 quit charging. it always surged and it always had a perfect pattern. but it was charging so i wasnt worried about it but anyway i put in a pod and gauges egt, trans, boost. and it all the sudden stopped charging. The truck has had the blue and green wires coming out of the wire cluster on the alt cut and they run to a voltage regulator on the fender. always worked. i put a new alt and regulator on and it is hooked up just the way it came apart and i am getting power to the alt and to the regulator when i turn the key on. but not getting any power out of the alt with it running. and the alt is good i had it tested before i brought it home. showed 14.7 volts. I was thinking about a single wire alt but cant find one with the correct mount. Any ideas on mine? Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The alt BLUE and Green wires are running to the regulator?

The wires should be running off the TWO poles on the back of ALT. One to the "F" tab of regulator and the other looped to a ground. A power wire runs from the ALT battery connection to the "A" tab and the center tab "S" is run to a ignition hot line...

The OEM blue and green lines should be sealed and taped.

Search and see. There are diagrams. I just wired my 98 and it is putting out 14.75 volts.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-tech-articles/37468-alternator-external-regulator-how-89-02-a.html

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iv got the regulator that was on it that has the (ISAF) and iv got a new one from Tractor Supply that has (Alt, Fld, Batt) how would i hook this one up if the old one dont work? Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Iv got the regulator that was on it that has the (ISAF) and iv got a new one from Tractor Supply that has (Alt, Fld, Batt) how would i hook this one up if the old one dont work? Thanks
ALT should be the post on alternator with battery line already installed.

FLD should be ONE of the smaller posts on Alternator (Ground the other small post to alternator)

BATT should be ignition hot line.

I would check with someone to make sure the TSC regulator is a substitute. I have read that not all regulators are useable because of the electronics?

I= is not used
S= ignition hot
A= Alternator post with battery lead
F= One of the smaller posts on alternator (either one) GROUND the other smaller post, best if grounded to alternator itself.

I picked mine up at autofoam ($14.99) part # VR 730 I think. It fits a 1976 Jeep Cherokee V-8. Same as the o'reilly number R400. O'reilly has a lifetime warranty for $21.99 here in NC..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts