Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the site and had a question. Excuse my lack of knowledge.

It's leaking fuel around the front of the engine. I want to say its near the pump but I'm not entirely sure. Where it is leaking from is attached to where the oil fill is. I took it to the local diesel mechanic and he said it is a high pressure gasket, and that it can't be purchased seperatly. He said i have to purchase a whole new pump, and gasket kit which is about $3K.

Currently it runs fine, but it leaks fuel, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
$3000 for a new pump? Don't go back there. :$: Gasket kits cost $20, $500-800 to get a rebuilt injection pump.

The oil fill spout is on the front of the timing case, whereas the injection pump is on the back of the timing case. I sure hope that you're not leaking fuel out of the oil fill spout; that'd be exceptionally bad. :thud:

Most likely the fuel is leaking out of the injection pump itself. Some seals are harder to get to than other seals, but none are hard enough to get to to warrant a total rebuilding of the pump.

However, according to the popular theory that the new ultra-low sulfur Diesel destroys old seals, all of the seals in the IP are on borrowed time... Which means you might want to consider getting a total reseal or rebuild done at the local injection shop to have more of a longterm fix, which shouldn't cost more than $1000 for a rebuild and R&R. How much would a reseal cost? Half that?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Mine was a simple O ring. The shop gave it to me and shipped me home to do it myself. After I found the spring that fell out on the ground I put it back together. My old man said what the Blank was that when it fell. Kind of funny now but it wasn't then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i thought 3k was a little expensive also, so i thought i would do some research first.

It's leaking out of the pump where it connects to the back of the timing case.

This weekend i'm gonna try and take the pump off and replace the o-ring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was reading that yesterday. Does it matter that mine is a 1993?

Thanks for the link btw!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts