Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to these forums. My father has a 93 12V Cummins. The truck has around 374K miles on it. For a while now, we have noticed that his turbo does not spool up or at least not that we can hear while driving on the road. We took the truck to the shop and the tech thought that the turbo was probably worn out based on the number of miles. They ordered up a new turbo for replacement. I also asked them to order up new intercooler boots as a couple of the boots appeared to be leaking. This shop does not specialize in diesel repair, but my brother works there and the turbo replacement seemed like a fairly simple job just from looking at it.

Based on the number of miles, does this sound like a reasonable lifespan for the old turbo or am I looking at the wrong thing? The only work that the engine has ever had done to it is that it had new injectors and injector pump installed around 60K miles ago. The truck otherwise runs great and he sees around 18mpg on average with his truck. Thanks.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,047 Posts
:welcome:

With a stock air cleaner and hose on the truck you won't hear the turbo. If your running stock fueling its the same thing. You won't hear it. The stock air intake system is made to be quite. Plus stock your probably only making around 16 lbs or so of boost.

I wouldn't have went off the milage for a turbo replacement. To check it you remove the air inlet hose and grab the nut on the end of the shaft and see how much play the turb has in and out and side to side. Some side to side is normal. If you can make the wheel touch the housing its time for a replacement. If it has in and out play get it replaced.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Could us 1st gen owners get rid of the stock air cleaner box and just run the air filter open under the hood, or would that suck up too much hot engine air?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Asa modified is the answer,and it is worth the $200 bucks.:peelout

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:welcome:

With a stock air cleaner and hose on the truck you won't hear the turbo. If your running stock fueling its the same thing. You won't hear it. The stock air intake system is made to be quite. Plus stock your probably only making around 16 lbs or so of boost.

I wouldn't have went off the milage for a turbo replacement. To check it you remove the air inlet hose and grab the nut on the end of the shaft and see how much play the turb has in and out and side to side. Some side to side is normal. If you can make the wheel touch the housing its time for a replacement. If it has in and out play get it replaced.
I pulled the air inlet hose this morning and checked for play. There is very slight play side-to-side, but no play in and outwards. I should have checked the turbo shaft first before the shop ordered up the replacement. The reason we were looking at the turbo is because the truck does not seem to have the power it used to although the engine otherwise runs fine. I did not realize that you cannot normally hear the turbo spool up on this engine.

I did see oil below one of the intercooler boots so is it possible that if one or more of these boots are leaking that there could be a loss of boost from that?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Could us 1st gen owners get rid of the stock air cleaner box and just run the air filter open under the hood, or would that suck up too much hot engine air?
Thats what I have... I just have a BHAF with an outerware cover laying in my fender well. :lol3:

Its not permanent, I'm crafting a cold air box for it slowly, but surely :thumbsup

Chris

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,047 Posts
If your seeing oil below a boot then it might be leaking. The bigger problem is if that oil is coming from the turbo that is not good. You could have an engine run away if to much oil gets into the air intake system. A diesel engine doesn't care if its burning #2 or engine oil.

Pull your IC tube off the bottom of the turbo and see if there is oil in it. If there is get that turbo off and replaced.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I pulled the air inlet hose this morning and checked for play. There is very slight play side-to-side, but no play in and outwards. I should have checked the turbo shaft first before the shop ordered up the replacement. The reason we were looking at the turbo is because the truck does not seem to have the power it used to although the engine otherwise runs fine. I did not realize that you cannot normally hear the turbo spool up on this engine.

I did see oil below one of the intercooler boots so is it possible that if one or more of these boots are leaking that there could be a loss of boost from that?

Thanks for your help.
Check your throttle position cable too:thumbsup It'll make one hell of a difference if it is out . . . like mine was.:peelout

1 - 11 of 11 Posts