Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend has a 92 2wd truck with a bent frame they are getting rid of. I pulled my cover off the rear end the other day and there is some bearing metal in it so i see a rebuild at some point in the future. Also, with 194000 on the original auto trans, i can imagine it going at some point. The trans in the 92 has 500 miles on it, the motor is tight, and i can get it for cheap. question is, can a 2wd tranny from a 92 bolt up to a 4wd transfer case on a 97, and are the rear ends the same (havent gone to look at the gear ratio yet, maybe tomorrow)? It would be nice not to have to rebuild either and just swap em out when they fail, and probably sell the motor for more than i pay for the whole truck. Anybody know?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The transmissions are different . The one in the 97 has electronic governor controls , 92 is hydrolic. The differentials may have the same internals , but the housings i believe will differ. Bearings in the diff are pretty straight forward to change. There are shims behind the bearing cones and as long as you dont mix them up , its as easy as remove and replace.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
". Bearings in the diff are pretty straight forward to change. There are shims behind the bearing cones and as long as you dont mix them up , its as easy as remove and replace.
__________________"

what about end play, side play, all the set up stuff?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
thye shims behind the bearings give you the proper lash and bearing preload. The hardest part may be to install the carrier back into the housing without a diff spredder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts