Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
VA Chapter President
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1992 5.9L turbo diesel wont start. I have replace the Key switch thinking it was the problem. When i turn the key to on, the heater comes on but no ACC. or dash lights. But when i unplug the 7 spade connector off the bottom of switch and jump the pink/black wire to the ACC wire everything comes on and i can start the truck but when i turn key off it stays running. for some reason it's not opening the circuit or closeing it. From what i think if you can jump it at the plug then that means the switch is bad... but its brand new? Any info on what else could be stoping me from getting ACC on and truck to start normaly.

PS: This just happend random one day.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
There is more than one power source into the ignition switch. If the wiring is the same on a 92 as the 91 you should have power to a red wire into the ignition switch as well as a pink one. You probably have no power at the red one and you've been jumping it to the pink one. If this is in fact the case, check the orange fuseable links in the wiring harness under the hood on the left fender near the heater grid relays. There are several of them bunched together there. Grab each firmly one at a time and try to pull them apart. Sometimes they will burn our but leave the insulation intact.
Steve g

·
Registered
92 Posts
im sure its the fuseable link, i have fixed 2 diesel dodge's that had that problem....i hate fuseable links

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
im sure its the fuseable link, i have fixed 2 diesel dodge's that had that problem....i hate fuseable links
Probably not as much as you'd hate a burnt wiring harness! ;) At least these ones are nice and easy to get at, not like the GM ones of yesteryear that were at the starter.

They do serve a practical purpose. They provide protection to the harness and circuits with a "slow blow" fuse. If you put a regular fuse in it will be less forgiving of sudden unexpected high current draws.

BTW, Malodin, how'd you make out with your speedo? I've been out of the country (Greece and Turkey) for a couple of weeks.
Steve g

1 - 4 of 4 Posts