Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the diesel cummins world and in need of some help deciding what truck will best suite me. The 92 has 68xxx miles while the 98.5 has 138xxx. I want to produce around 300+ hp with out spending much over $2500. I wont be doing much towing, more than less I want the truck to blow alot of black, spin the tires, and still be a reliable daily driver. Is this practical? I have plenty of knowledge working on gas engines so i plan on doing all the work myself to save money.

Can the 92' 12v be built to 300hp with my budget and still be reliable?

Is there anything that needs to be beefed up to handle the added power.

Any advice/criticism will be usefull. Also if you have built your truck into what I described could you give me a list of what you did to it and how much it cost, also any problems you ran in to?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Both can make decent power. Depends how you want to do it. 12v is mostly engine modifications and pump modifications which can be cheaper. 24v can be done with basic mods and then some money into a chip or programmer. The 12v is pretty bulletproof while the 24v engine is but the lift pump and injection pump is an issue and can go out at anytime without to many signs...., if it were me i would go with the 92 but ive always wanted a first gen cummins.

Reactions: Krogstad

·
Registered
425 Posts
300 reliable hp is not an issue for either truck, its a matter of do you like wrenching or plug and play?

Reactions: Krogstad
1 - 3 of 3 Posts