Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on my way home tonight my truck started spitting and spuddering for a sec then was fine then a mile or so later it did it again this time I dropped it from drive to 2 hoping the rise in rpms would get it out of its system well it started smoking (black) then a little white smoke at the end before I put it back in drive and as long as I kept 10% throttle or less it was OK until finally dieing. I tried to start it back and it would turn over then the e brake light and abs light would come on the dash and it would start and idle for about a second then die it did this three times then it wouldn't start again. PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What kind of temp outside? You running any fuel treatment / anti-gel in the fuel? Sounds an awful like a clogged fuel filter from gelled fuel (happened to me several times). If you think this is the case, try to find some (red bottle) 911 Power service fuel treatment (walmart, any auto part store, most places that sell diesel fuel) and pour some in your tank and (if possible and more important) unscrew your fuel filter lid and pour some in there (doing this from memory, probably better to read the directions on bottle). If possible, get a new filter and replace it when adding the 911. Wait 5-10 mins and try cranking again. As you saw, lower rpms (slower flowing fuel) is best if you get it running.

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Its -1 F out and I pump my fuel from a barrel that's filtered twice through a water separator and I run the white bottle power service stuff and I had been driving for about 10 or 15 mins

·
Registered
241 Posts
could be a lift pump failure, an old filter paired with failed pump may cause you issues

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure of the source of your fuel, but stations in WV will have additive in there already. In all honesty, I think your filter is gelled. You drove far enough to give you some confidence, but in reality, it was also enough time for all the gelled bits to clog things up. Keep in mind, diesel will still gel even in the absence of water. 911 power service is probably your cheapest/easiest option to begin trouble shooting. Also, how old/how many miles on that filter?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just replaced the filter maybe a week ago I was thinking maybe the lift pump but I'm going to check for gelled fuel in the morning if its not gelled on the filter I'm gonna open the drain on the bottom of the housing and bump the key to see if the lift pump pumps fuel out of the drain

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I pulled the filter on the truck and it was fine just as white as it was when I put it in no fuel gelled on it so I emptied the fuel canister and bumped the key a few times and it never filled up and only trickled out of the bottom for maybe a second or two so I guess its the lift pump?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got a call from the shop and they said it was gelled fuel in the tank does this doin right? When I bumped the key last night and this morning there was no sound even coming from the tank

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Well I got a call from the shop and they said it was gelled fuel in the tank does this doin right? When I bumped the key last night and this morning there was no sound even coming from the tank
on an '04 the lift pump is still on the back of nthe fuel filter canister.
'bout 2" dia./6-7 long mounted vertically.
The intank LP usually aren't much of a problem.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thank y'all I guess it was just gelled fuel look like I'll be putting more of the white diesel Kleen in

·
Registered
805 Posts
had the same thing happen to me. it was in tank or hose to airdog cause I wasn't getting fuel to pass through lp. I had white bottle ps in it as well. from now own if its gonna be cold keep a full tank and double or triple down on degel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts