Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 91 nonintercooled cummins dosent wanna start if its below about 50 or so degrees outside i cant figure out whats wrong with it i put a new injection pump, injectors and all in it but it just dowent wanna seem to start any ideas would be appericated

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
does it do anything when you turn the key? or does it just turn over but not start? im thninking possible heating grid problem cause they turn on the heating grids at 55*. but i have started mine not pluged in at about 15* took a while and puffed a fair amout of white smoke.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No Start????????

Dude did you check your glow plugs? OH wait a minute we are in the dodge forum. :lol3:We are talking about a cummins, right?

Common problem with a Ford PS but not a cummins. Are you running diesel #2 and not bio or something else, right?

Is it turning over?

How old?
How many miles?
What upgrades or changes to motor?

·
Registered
98 Posts
my 91 nonintercooled cummins dosent wanna start if its below about 50 or so degrees outside i cant figure out whats wrong with it i put a new injection pump, injectors and all in it but it just dowent wanna seem to start any ideas would be appericated
Grid heaters either burned out or not getting juice for some reason.

·
First Generation Moderator
2,170 Posts
The engine will start at 40° F rather easily cold, no heater grid...........

If the cranking speed is up to par (starter,battery, cable connections)

Once it starts, it will smoke white and chug/sputter. No real problems though.

Perhaps you have 50 weight engine oil and a weak battery/dirty cable connections, hummmm?????

Is the injection pump time way retarded?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah its a cummins no flower power lol i was also thinking it was a heater grid problem it is a 91 non intercooled with about 360000 miles new pump and injectors i checked the timing it was a bit retarted but that was easily fixed with about an 1/8 inch turn of the pump i dont know what else it could possibly be thanks for help and was wondering if a newer heater grid would work on my truck because i contacted cummins and they said they do not sell that one anymore

·
Registered
98 Posts
It may just be the solenoid. You can still get the solenoid from the original manufacturer.

It is by stancor, DC Power Contactor, part number 120-901.

·
2,170 Posts
I had trouble with one engine in particular. It was a 1989. After I advanced it (the pump) the darn thing had difficulty starting when it was about 40°. It too had no grid heater and started really well when it was cold. Then, after the pump bump, it didn't.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is the solenoid located at for the pre heaters

·
2,170 Posts
It's the sensor in the side of the head that the injection pump support bracket has a big hole for.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i thought that was where it was but i just wanted to make sure is there anything else it could be from hard start up or is that about the only thing it can be

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Like was said before the thing should start easy at 50 degrees.I never plug mine in and it gets very cold. I can start truck at 10 degrees while not waiting to start. (not as a practice but wanted to try it).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all of the info guys i will try to see if it is working

1 - 13 of 13 Posts