Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first 12 valve back in November. A good friend of mine in Portland loves them. I was looking for a 2nd gen 12 valve, 4wd, extended cab and came across a 1st gen, 2wd, regular cab in my hometown while visiting for Thanksgiving.

An old guy had it in his yard for $1500. The interior is great and the body is straight. Although have the paint is gone. No rust that I could see. And it had about 59K. He said he inherited it from his father-in-law (who rarely used it) and had rarely used it himself.

I offered him $1000 and he happily accepted. I admittedly don't have a thumb on the pulse of 12 valve values and know a 2wd/regular cab isn't ideal...but figured the engine alone had to be worth that much..especially with the low mileage.

Really..I rolled the dice hoping I could flip it for a profit and apply the money towards the one I'm really keeping my eye out for. I called my buddy after I bought it. He's bought and sold a dozen or so. He recommended pulling the running boards, buying some nice (but used) rims to ditch the stock ones, and maybe throwing a cheap paint job on it if inclined.

I'd like to double-check that advice on here and see what you all think. I don't want to drop money on anything I won't get a decent ROI on. But I'd like to maximize any profit so I can throw it in the truck fund..I'm remodeling my house and extra cash is low..

Also..the odometer/speedometer just took a dump on me a few weeks ago. Anyone had that issue? I'll need to get that fixed before I sell. I don't want anyone thinking I was trying to scam them on the mileage (that'd be my concern if I was a buyer).

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is a steal at 1k, you could turn around and sell it as is right now and triple or even quadruple your money. The odometer is a common issue, it happens often when you reset the trip ODO while the truck is moving. I've never had that issue, but plenty on this forum have and there is a lot of info about how to fix it on here. If I were you, I'd fix that issue, and make sure that the truck is roadworthy (check brakes, tires, power steering ect) just to ensure that you don't accidentally sell someone a truck that isn't safe to drive, and sell it as is. If you'd like, a cheap paint job should add some value, I think Maaco should be able to paint that truck for $1000-1500.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's a pretty sweet truck. Where are you located?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd think $4 - 5,000 is a fair price for that truck as it sits.
Of course your local market may differ.

Agree with above, don't paint it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd keep it exactly how it is right now imo. Really keeps that stock, un-abused grandpa rig that people like. Perfect clean slate for someone. With only 59k miles I have no issue believing that someone would give you $4k+ for it, even if they're just going to use it as a donor drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Please don't paint it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Im with keeping the paint as-is. Most savvy buyers are more interested in seeing the original undamaged body than shiny paint. I would just spend time cleaning it up, especially interior and engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Could you post some pics of the steering wheel, gas/brake pedals, and engine bay please?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The less you change from stock the better/easier it will sell.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
5 speed or auto? 5spd is generally most desireable, followed by the OD a518, and lastly the non-OD 727.

I have picked up several of these D250s for $1000 and under. OTOH, they routinely come up for $2500-3500 asking price around here. Then there's the odd nut-job asking much more again. A good straight body will help the value.

Anyone who poo-poo's the D250 as being useless because its 2wd, should install a locker (lunchbox, Detroit, etc.) That way you don't get stuck on wet grass, gravel, etc. :grin2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I was looking to buy mine what I was really interested in (besides the powertrain) was the seat condition, wiper operation, and the odo/speedo. Among a couple others but i would have to say those are the main

1 - 13 of 13 Posts