Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Yeah, no antifreeze just straight water in the northeast is a bad thing. It pushed all the freeze plugs out of the block & head too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Great work and progress! Thanks for sharing your ongoing journey.

Reactions: Saintly

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I took a little break from all the sanding on the roof last week but now I'm back at it.

I'm really close to having it ready for primer and then there's a few little dings and dents and holes that I welded up for like an antenna and a plow light etc. Those things will need a dab of body filler here and there.

Plant Outdoor furniture Wood Table Grass

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
And I finally got the first coat of epoxy primer on it.

Unfortunately I forgot to drain my air compressor and there was a little bit of water in the line which kicked out of the back of the spray gun and got in the primer.

It's not too bad, it's just on the left front corner. Plus it's just primer, so I can send it back down and reprime it. But at least now it's protected from moisture and dampness and shouldn't get any more surface rust on it.

Plant Rectangle Table Bumper Outdoor furniture

Plant Table Tire Outdoor furniture Grass

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Tomorrow morning a tow truck is coming to take my 91 over to the body shop across the street from where I work. I decided cutting off the roof and welding the new one on is a little bit beyond the scope of what I'm comfortable doing.

There's just too many measurements to take and too much to go wrong. If I get it wrong and the windows don't fit back in or the doors don't open and close right then everything I've done up to this point was for nothing.

So I'm putting it in the hands of the pros. The body shop requested that I take all the glass out and remove the bed so that they can have access for all the cutting and welding and grinding and filling.

They're also going to paint it when they're done including the back side of the cab the interior and the jams.

I informed them that there's no engine in the truck so the tow truck will be backing it directly into their shop tomorrow. This should ensure a speedy turnaround, since they can't back it out and pull it back in. They'll have to finish the job and then push it out of the shop before they can make room for the next job.😏 (See, I learned from the machine shop dilemma)

So for now here's a few photos of the truck with all the glass out and the bed tied up between two big trees. I also included a couple close-ups of how bad the rot is on the current roof skin.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Window Trunk
Vertebrate Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

·
Registered
1990 Dodge w250 12v Cummins (under construction). 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L
1,965 Posts
Good decision on the roof. Definitely too much can go wrong if you've never done anything like it before

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
I stopped by the body shop today at lunch time to see how they're making out. They had already done the body work to the new roof panel got it 100% straight and ready to paint.

They also have the old roof cut off of the cab, all the spot welds are drilled out where the roof support meets the back cab wall and they are in the process of grinding it down smooth for welding. Roof should go on tomorrow morning then a little body work and some paint.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
So, how are they going to treat all the inside surfaces to prevent the rust out from happening again.?
Hint, fill the roof NOW while it's off the cab. Really, get a gallon of etching primer and pour it into a roof pillars, slosh things around good.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
So, how are they going to treat all the inside surfaces to prevent the rust out from happening again.?
Hint, fill the roof NOW while it's off the cab. Really, get a gallon of etching primer and pour it into a roof pillars, slosh things around good.

Liquid Fluid Cylinder Bottle cap Gas

My plan was to spray this stuff into the cab light holes, the third brake light hole, and the sun visor holes. I've got a whole gallon of it I'm just going to let it rip after the cab is painted and cured.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Plant Tree Botany Sunlight Trunk

While waiting to get the truck back from the body shop I decided to scuff the front side of the bed and spray it with some of that white epoxy primer.

After spraying the front of the bed I had about a half a pint left over that was already mixed up so just for the hell of it I poured it in the gun and sprayed the driver's side of the bed just to see what the bed would look like in white.

Unfortunately it was too cold today and I didn't prep the side of the bed so the primer has really bad orange peel and runs all through it but it looks okay from 10 ft away.:)

Reactions: 5.7 Hemi

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Body work is all done on my truck. As of this morning she's in the paint booth all taped up.

They told me they have to put two coats of high build primer on it, and then block sand it before applying the pw7 bright white paint.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Hood Vehicle door Wood Tints and shades Windscreen wiper

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
I got the truck back from the body shop, the bodywork came out perfect but unfortunately the paint job did not.
There are some runs in the paint, mostly on the backside of the cab. I need to get it home after I install the windshield and the sliding rear window.
Once it's home I'll install the bed and the entire nose clip and we'll see what runs are noticeable and what ones are hidden.
Here's two shots of it back at my job.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
I got the third brake light in, the cab lights on, and the sliding rear window in.

With a helper pushing on the outside and a bunch of soapy water in a Windex bottle, that rear window went in easy as pie.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to install the windshield, then it's time to call my friend Ricky and have him tow it back home.

Car Tire Vehicle Cloud Sky

Car Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I got the truck home and I got the windshield installed. Next thing I'm going to try to do is put the entire nose clip back on it.

It's getting tougher and tougher to get things accomplished especially now that daylight savings time has made it dark when I leave work.

I guess I know what my next couple Sundays are going to be spent doing.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Last night the forecast was for rain, so I hooked up as many wires as I could under the hood, installed the battery, and rolled the power windows up. I also put a little bit of plastic at the top of the window where the weather seals are dry rotted and cracked.

I also put a strip of painters tape across the sliding rear window the try to keep all the water out.

Sure enough it rained really hard last night and it's supposed to rain all day today. As of this morning around 7 a.m. I checked inside the cab and everything was completely dry. No leaks through the glass or through the cab lights. I do need to get the hood on it so that no water gets into the openings in the firewall.

I guess once the hood is on the next step will be to pull it over to the other side of the yard and reinstalled the bed.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Mode of transport

221 - 240 of 250 Posts