Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Furthermore I was looking at the photos that I've already posted and post number 197 above, and it appears as though all of the rocker arm adjustments are very loose, some of them are missing the adjustment nut, and some of the rocker pedestals are missing the head bolt stud nuts.

I wonder if something else happened here like maybe a cam change gone wrong or a valve adjustment going wrong. I'm going to have to pull this head off on Tuesday and see what happened in here, but my gut feeling is that this backyard mechanic did something wrong and bent some valves.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
One last question this morning, I noticed the manifold and turbo that I pulled off this 98 12 valve has a wastegate actuator.
My 91 has no such thing, is this an upgrade?
Or perhaps I'm better off just putting my manifold and turbo on this engine.

·
Registered
1990 Dodge w250 12v Cummins (under construction). 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L
1,965 Posts
One last question this morning, I noticed the manifold and turbo that I pulled off this 98 12 valve has a wastegate actuator.
My 91 has no such thing, is this an upgrade?
Or perhaps I'm better off just putting my manifold and turbo on this engine.
The turbo off that I believe is a hx35 that has a waste gate which is a typical upgrade for first gens

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
As I suspected this was not a KDP failure. I think this was a head gasket slash stud job gone wrong.

Half of the head stud nuts were loose and two of the push rods were jamming the valves open even though the rocker adjustments were all the way loosened off so something got misassembled.

It looks like a brand new head gasket I don't think the motor was ever fired after installing it. I'm not sure what type of gasket it is doesn't have any markings on it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Synthetic rubber Wheel

Nothing but the best quality head gasket here.

The number six piston has damaged in the center, kind of looks like an injector hung open or something.
Cylinder walls all look pretty good I'll probably hone it and ring it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I got the head all stripped down, injectors out, and I'm taking it to the first guys machine shop to have it cleaned, checked, and milled if necessary.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive engine gasket Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering

Reactions: cutoutcummins

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Changing gears back to the floor pan project for a bit, since I'm waiting for machine shop services once again.

After much trimming and Hammer beating, I got test fit number two tonight.
Hood Automotive tire Fender Engineering Automotive wheel system
Black Gas Paint Tints and shades Space
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle door

Beating out the collision damage on the right side of the floor pan we're at humps and curves up under the seat was a real pain in the butt. Heating and scraping all the factory seam sealer off of the seam where the old floor meets the firewall and along the rockers was no picnic either.

I think I'm finally ready to sandblast the rust spots and sand all the paint away where the welding will take place. The plan is to secure it with some self tapping sheet metal screws before I start plug welding all the holes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
I spent all day Sunday grinding the surfaces smooth, doing some last trimming and fitting, sandblasting any and all surface rust off of the original surface as well as the replacement floor pan, and coating it with weld through primer.

This is the first time I've ever used weld through primer, I have researched it and seen some people love it some people hate it. I'll give my opinion after I'm done welding, I'm hoping it doesn't screw the welds up contaminate and make a mess of things.
Fixture Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

I even did some practice plug welds on some pieces of scrap, in order to dial in the settings on my MIG welder. I had to go way down with the heat and the wire speed in order to get a nice clean puddle in the hole.
Handwriting Wood Font Comfort food Paper

Now it's just the waiting game on account of it's raining today and it's supposed to rain for the next 3 days.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Pumpkin Plant Cucurbita Winter squash Calabaza

I just received my epoxy primer in the mail, this is what I plan on spraying the floor with once all the welding is finished.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I welded in the floor pan today. When I was about six welds in, I realized that the weld through primer was a bad idea.

It made for a lot of spatter and porous welds, and it left a yellow colored soot around the weld like when you wield galvanized tin.

I researched this stuff before buying it and using it and about half the people swore by it and the other half swore at it. It was also impossible to strike a weld through it, I actually had to get in there and scrape the primer away from inside of every hole before plug welding it. I don't know how anyone uses this stuff successfully.

Anyway here's a few shots of it during and after the welding, and then after grinding smooth, sanding, and applying two coats of the Eastwood epoxy primer.

Gas Font Wood Glass Ceiling
Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Automotive exterior Gas Space Engineering Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
Hood Automotive lighting Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 · (Edited)
Tomorrow I have to apply seam sealer to the top and bottom sides of the floor.

Reactions: cutoutcummins

·
Registered
1990 Dodge w250 12v Cummins (under construction). 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L
1,965 Posts
The floor looks great.

I've used the por15 weld thru primer with mixed results. Half the time it's great and other times it's a pain. I used a marine self etching primer that came up as a weld thru primer when I searched and was great to work with. I think because it layed thinner that the por15 it was easier to weld thru.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Yesterday I applied gray seam sealer to the top side of the floor, along all the seams and joints and anywhere a plug weld was made.

I started out trying to apply it with a stiff bristled brush but that was an exercise and frustration. Within one minute I switched to a rubber glove and just smeared it in with my fingers.

I also installed all the rubber floor pan plugs and installed the brake and throttle pedals. Tonight I'm going to try and install the bench seat. That'll be the first time there's been a seat in my truck since March!

Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Space Machine

PS. There are a few plug welds that were not completed as you can see in the photos. I ran out of shielding gas on Saturday and decided to wait until I could refill the gas cylinder to complete the job. There are only about a dozen plug welds that need to be completed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I seam sealed the underside of the floor with 3m black urethane seam sealer. That stuff is way stickier and dries way faster than the gray dynatron stuff I used on the interior.

I also installed the four-wheel drive shifter the parking brake pedal assembly and the bench seat. It feels weird to be taking parts out of the shed rather than putting them in there.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Mode of transport

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Now that the floor pan project is completed, and since I'm now waiting on two machine shops (one has my original block, the second has the cylinder head from the replacement engine), I've decided it's time to address the roof issue.

The roof on the 91 has five or six rotten spots. Three of which have rotted right through and have gaping holes near the drip channel on the left side and around the front.

Since there are no rust repair panels for the roof on these first generation dodges, I decided that I would be welding in a complete used roof from another truck. I saved the roof from the 89 w250 parts truck off of its original cab which had no floors or rockers left.

Amazingly the roof section is extremely nice, there's mild surface rust and there's a couple of holes where somebody mounted a snow plow light, but I should be able to mig weld those closed and sand all the light rust off with some 40 grit paper on my da sander.

Here's what I'm working with:
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Automotive lighting

I'll post the progress once I get some more sandpaper and strip all that paint and primer off there. The plan is to do a bunch of measuring and then just cut through the a pillar and b pillars and will the whole new roof section on.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Lots of sanding! I'm starting to see shiny metal.

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Hood Fender
Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Liquid

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 · (Edited)
I decided to take the lid off my HVAC box tonight and clean out the mouse nesting that was bunched up around the evaporator core.

It's a good thing I did, because I found the heater core was ruptured while I was in there. I have a few spares in the shed so I should be able to swap that out and maybe I'll pressure wash the entire inside of the box while I have it gutted.

Plant Grass Motor vehicle Wood Gas
Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

201 - 220 of 250 Posts