Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 91.5 w250. Can anyone post some pictures of the connections to their factory/dealer installed tachometer on 91.5 and back trucks? Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
The plug is a rectangular 4 pin/wire plug that is about 2" wide and should be taped to the underside of the steering column. If you take off the steering column trim and drop the little fuse panel it should be up under there. Its pretty easy to find since it's just kinda hanging there. Mine had the blades facing you when you put your head under the dash.

I thought I remember reading that not all 91.5's had the plug, but I know the 92/93 are supposed to.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
I thought I remember reading that not all 91.5's had the plug, but I know the 92/93 are supposed to.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I’m pretty sure this is right. Every 92-93 I’ve looked at had it and the only 91.5 that I’ve gotten my hands on I couldn’t find that plug. I know for a fact 89-91 does not have it because they don’t have a crank sensor. To the OP does your truck have a crank sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 91.5’s didn’t have a factory tach provision, however they had a 3 terminal snow plow provision ground,key on power, and lights. All routed the same as the later 92’s minus the factory sensor pick up. Dealers used the snow plow provision to tie in a factory tach. Pretty rare but If anyone has any pictures of there’s I’d appreciate it. Looking to see how the added crank sensor was routed

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
The 91.5’s didn’t have a factory tach provision, however they had a 3 terminal snow plow provision ground,key on power, and lights. All routed the same as the later 92’s minus the factory sensor pick up. Dealers used the snow plow provision to tie in a factory tach. Pretty rare but If anyone has any pictures of there’s I’d appreciate it. Looking to see how the added crank sensor was routed
It would be for a different tach. The rare factory tach and isspro first gen plug in tach all use a specific signal generated by the computer that’s why we can’t use a normal tach. What your talking about was probably just a universal tach some places used and all you need is key on power and ground plus a light circuit for the back light, then there is its own sensor you mount then glue two magnets to the crank. I don’t have pictures but I’ve seen one before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Negative, it’s a factory/dealer installed Japan tach but they used a slightly different wiring kit to pick up a signal, these had 3 terminal plugs with a separate 2 wire weather pack connector going to a same era Jeep 4.0l crank sensor. It’s a rare kit. Some forum members have had some pictures of them but those post are outdated and don’t show how exactly or what was used to mount them to the timing case which is what I’m after.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 91.5 has no tach Provisions anywhere near the crank. There are 3 1st gens 89-91 ,91.5, 92-93. Parts from early 1st gen don't fit on the newer and parts from the late 1st Gen don't fit on the 91.5 either. Sometimes having something unique is bad ass, not when it comes to finding parts.

I got a fluid damper so now I have a mount for the 92/3 sensor however I have not been able to find sensor to add to my bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts