Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have. 91.5 intercooled 12v cummins. Just started over heating a few days ago so I flushed the radiator and no luck, I then replaced the thermostat and water pump. Still over heating. No signs of oil in coolant or coolant in oil so I’m pushing out head gasket. Rad was blown out of all debris and flushed as stated above. At a loss.

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
Did you use a Cummins thermostat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use a Cummins thermostat?
No I did not ! After I burped some air out of the system it ran great for about a week and the last two days the temp is all over the place can be hot one minute I give it some gas and it goes right back down idk what to do ? Change to cummins thermo ?

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
When you bled air out did you use the 1/2" plug on top of the head near the thermostat. Best way is to park or lift front of truck up higher then the rear when engine is cold and remove the plug. After a short while the trapped air should come out, if there was no air then your thermostat could be the trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you bled air out did you use the 1/2" plug on top of the head near the thermostat. Best way is to park or lift front of truck up higher then the rear when engine is cold and remove the plug. After a short while the trapped air should come out, if there was no air then your thermostat could be the trouble.
I did use the 1/2 inch plug I filled it at the rad until it came out of the plug... then like I said it ran great for a few days now it’s like it has a mind of its own. Also I have hot air in the cab but the top line comming out of the radiator is not hot or under pressure when it gets to “overheating”

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
Is your clutch fan working properly? Are you sure the gauge is reading correctly or you can tell it's overheating from the engine being hot?

Might not hurt to check for air again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your clutch fan working properly? Are you sure the gauge is reading correctly or you can tell it's overheating from the engine being hot?

Might not hurt to check for air again.
Engine does not spit up coolant or throw it in over flow tank so I’m not sure that it’s truly over heating could be temp sender bad and fan clutch is working and fab spins strong.

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
The factory gauges are not always reliable, most will put on a set of aftermarket gauges.

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,341 Posts
Also next time you should get a quicker response if you would Post in the 1st Gen section, don't think to many people look at this section much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts