Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im new to the forum, but not the cummins. I have a 1990 Dodge cummins single cab 4X4 automatic. I was wondering what I could do to make it a little pepier? I would like to smoke my friends duramax, but I imagine to do that I would have to change to the p pump. My dodge is stock except for the fuel screw being turned in a little. I have read on here about a different fuel pin? Is that the same as the fuel screw? If so where can I get one? By the way, it's non intercooled, and it wont be used for towing. What turbos are recomended? What about the hx-40? What size injectors are available. I want to make a sleeper out of my farm truck. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
What's all done to the Duramax?

Piston lift pump, intake, exhaust, grinded (or Bullydog or PDR or whoever's) fuel pin, full fuel screw will put the engine at 300 HP.

Injectors, turbocharger, maybe a bit of head work will put it around 400 HP.

You will need a torque converter at least to put the power to the ground, and don't expect the bands and whatnot in the trans to last very long with that. Largest expense around is getting the trans built.

Good power can be had under 400 HP with an HTT compressor housing, seems to me like the efficient money is on an S300 or one of the myriad other versions of bigger turbochargers out there. They come out with new ones faster than I can keep track of.

Or twins. Stock turbo on top with a little housing, really big turbo on bottom. That's actually the cheapest way to go (if you're a good welder), but requires you to get O-rings in the head and a whole lot of fab work.

The fuel pin (really it's a cone) is under the top of the injection pump. It can be grinded with a Dremel to achieve the same (if not better) results than the version that costs $150+ from the pro's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any instructions on how to grind the pin? Twins would be cool. Im planing on having the 727 rebuilt at a local shop. Can you get a intercooler for the non intercooled cummins? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Here is a link to a page detailing the fuel cone grind process.
Fuel pin grinding, AKA Old smokey fuel pin - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Intercoolers of some kind, air-to-air, air-to-water, water fumigation or nitrous, become pretty necessary above 300 HP. You can do any or all of the above, each has benefits and concerns.

Make sure that you get the 727 rebuilt tight. Torque is the real transmission rating, not horsepower, and a Cummins with 400HP can be putting out as much torque as a big block at 800HP.

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
I have a paint flaked 1990 I brought up rom the South and love it. Fact, I drive it every day as opposed to the 1992. It's not quite as nice to drive as the 92 but it sure is fun.
With its reg cab, I feel better about driving/parking it in and around town.

Some modifications to the old '90 and the d-max will wonder what happened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts