Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing a complete frame off on my truck. And I'm trying to decide to buy new rear leafs or do a re fresh on them. The truck has a 4 inch lift , there are 8 springs total in the rear pack, some of the c clips are gone. The springs themselves look ok. No sagging, I've thought about doing the spring tip inserts. And a good cleaning, sanding and caling it good. But also thought about just getting new ones.
Also you can see from the picture, the air ride . Shouldn't it be completely compressed? There is zero air in it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
there's not a ton of give in those stock springs, I wouldn't be surprised if that is how they sat empty with no weight at all on them.

For springs, those look like they have plenty of arch left to them so I don't think they look worn out. If you are doing a restoration and want to make an improvement, I highly highly recommend doing the 64in chevy spring swap. It removes the lift block and gives about 4 in lift. It will DRAMATICALLY improve the ride of your truck, and if you do a little fab work, probably cost less than a new set of stock springs.

Jungle Jim over on ramchargercentral.com actually makes a kit for it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, they are stiff, any idea about the air lift.
No, the airbags will be almost full length (even without air) with no load as the springs are holding the weight...they are only meant to assist, not carry all the weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Combining leafs would be the worst! Thing wouldn’t flex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Considering the airbags and all the extra leaves, I'd be curious how the axle housing looks.

That truck was hauling serious weight, most certainly abused.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Why do you say that? Stock I believe they were a 7-1 pack
The leaves being equal length in pairs, the missing spring clamps...

Factory never were stacked like that...someone has taken another set of springs and stacked the leaves for more capacity. Mine has Helwigs on it and rides like a brick, I could imagine that one is similar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the 4 inch lift , has a extra leaf in there for the rear. As far as the leaf pack , someone correct me if I'm wrong, but stock the w250s had 8 leaf springs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Considering the airbags and all the extra leaves, I'd be curious how the axle housing looks.

That truck was hauling serious weight, most certainly abused.
The housing is in good shape, was rebuilt 6 months ago, by a off road shop. Put a arb locker in as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do you say that? Stock I believe they were a 7-1 pack
The leaves being equal length in pairs, the missing spring clamps...

Factory never were stacked like that...someone has taken another set of springs and stacked the leaves for more capacity. Mine has Helwigs on it and rides like a brick, I could imagine that one is similar.

Yes, like a brick very stiff. I'm considering getting a set from atlas
Spring and start new

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, like a brick very stiff. I'm considering getting a set from atlas
Spring and start new
Yeah, I'm limping through until spring, then buying a complete Skyjacker 2.5 or 4 inch for mine.

I'm also thinking of doing the kelderman air rid in the front as well, have not made up my mind yet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts