Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 89 12v that is completely stock and is a nice running truck only problem is if he takes it to work where he cant plug it in he says if it gets below 25 it wont start. Pretty much the way he put it is if the wait to start light comes on he knows he has to find a ride. It will fire and start but will die out within a few seconds. And will keep doing this untill he kills the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention he put a new fuel pump and new filter and im assuming the grid heater works in that if it is pluged in it will start with no problem maybe i am wrong in assuming that? and I told him we needed to ad another battery but he says it didnt need one in 89 why does it need one now so im still trying to talk him into that one

·
Super Moderator
24,819 Posts
I'll bet the gridheaters aren't working. Wire them up on a pushbutton.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You don't really "need" dual batteries. I just have one battery and it cranks over slow in -15*f weather but she still fired off. Dual batteries would be nice though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
when you plug it in you are using the block heater, which is just a heating element on the side of the motor that heats the coolant, a grid heater is in the intake and is powered by the battery(s) when the wait to start light is on, i agree with oldram that the grid isnt working, you could try cycling it and feel the intake to see if its heating

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks for all the input im gonna trade him trucks as soon as I get a little time off ill postmwhat I find out

·
Super Moderator
24,819 Posts
If you pull the small wires off at the bottom of the solenoids and put 1 terminal on each to ground and then a hot wire to the other terminals it will pull the solenoid in and the gridheater will work if it's good. Don't leave it pulled in for over 15 seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.