Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as my signature reads, I did the cummins swap, very happy with it so far. only thing, it's 2wd. which it's a dually so I always say it's 4wd all the time.. haha, I have a donor truck, 92' f.250 7.3 IDI zf5 sp, straight axle, locking hubs.. has anyone done this? could the parts work? I believe the front axle is a Dana 44 or 60.. not sure.. I'm also not sure about the gearing, I have 4.10 in the rear, would most likely have to change gearing to match up.. anybody have any input? I did read a thread of a 94 that was changed to 4wd, but not many pics or information on the parts used.. thanks in advance!

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
If you have the donor truck shouldnt be hard at all with straight axle and leaf springs. Yes you will have to make sure the front and rear diffs have the same gearing

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem is even if I do change to 4wd, I have a 2wd dodge trans... but to make things a little easier I could get an adapter plate and bolt the whole zf5 sp, along with transfer case and the whole assembly together... lot more involved, as to mounting a clutch pedal and everything else.. what do you guys think? there an easier way? (other than just forgetting the whole idea)

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
You have the donor truck so most of the stuff would be just doing the work. As far as the tranny it would be spending the money for the adapter.Just depends on how much work you want to do..

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you have a F250 it isn't going to have a "straight axle" Dana 60 under it unless someone else has previously swapped it. If it is a regular cab it will have a Dana 44HD, or if it is a supercab it will have a Dana 50. I believe the frames were the same regardless of 2WD vs 4WD so having both trucks you should have all the parts you would need as far as the axles are concerned. Personally I think you are money/time ahead to buy the adapter to bolt your ZF up out of the donor. Dodge trannys/t-cases through 93 were passenger side drops, whereas our Fords are driver's side drops. I think most of the adapters to run the ZF's are setup for a passenger side starter as well bare in mind. I could be wrong on that, but I think it was the case.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You could always just mount a divorced transfer case in there. Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you have a F250 it isn't going to have a "straight axle" Dana 60 under it unless someone else has previously swapped it. If it is a regular cab it will have a Dana 44HD, or if it is a supercab it will have a Dana 50. I believe the frames were the same regardless of 2WD vs 4WD so having both trucks you should have all the parts you would need as far as the axles are concerned. Personally I think you are money/time ahead to buy the adapter to bolt your ZF up out of the donor. Dodge trannys/t-cases through 93 were passenger side drops, whereas our Fords are driver's side drops. I think most of the adapters to run the ZF's are setup for a passenger side starter as well bare in mind. I could be wrong on that, but I think it was the case.
The frames are different between 2WD and 4WD. All 87-97 OBS TTB 3/4 and 1 ton D60 4x4 truck had the front leaf spring shackle mounted inbetween the frames rails on the front of the leaf spring. 2WD trucks were all coil spring front ends with different frame horns than a 4WD.

Cheapest way to convert a 2WD to 4WD would be to make a front spring hanger, and locate stock OBS rear spring hangers. You can make them, but the springs are offset a little under the frame and require time to make.

Or, you could be something pre-fabbed to save a bunch of time. Check out SKY-Manufacturing, they have a nice pre-fabbed kit for cheap money. This is the kit I used on my 1/2 Centurion to convert it to one ton. Saved a bunch of time and fitment was great.

-Tyler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts