Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '85 crew cab W350 that I swapped a '96 12valve into. I put in new weatherstripping around the doors. Now I have to slam my doors really hard to get them to close. :help1: Especially the rear doors. Anyone have advice on how to adjust the doors? I have noticed my front doors sag a little and the rear doors when closed are slightly inside the door frame, so they could use adjusting (aligning) anyway.

This is kinda what is looks like:

Leni

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Before you start anything grab the door. Lift it up and down. If the door moves you need to rebuild your hinges. This requires taking the door off (a crayon used around the hinges will put the doors in the same position upon reassembly) then driving the pin out of the hinge. Once the hinge is in 2 pieces you can see the old bushings and replace them and the pin. Do not be surprised if you break a bushing or 2 when installing. Once the hinges are good you can align the doors.

Telling you how to adjust a door is easy. Doing the adjustment is harder.

All adjustments are made with the hinges. You have some bolts with the heads inside the cab and some that the bolt heads are outside the cab.

To move a door closer to or away from the cab the bolts holding the doors to both hinges need to be moved. Be aware, you can make the top a different distance from the body compared to the bottom of the door. This is an annoying adjustment.

To move a door up or down you need to move the hinges where they are attached to the body.

This is something that can be done. It is not hard but can take a lot of adjusting to get right.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
With New Weather stripes yes it's hard to close the door's I am having same problem you might try adjusting the door striker mover it out just a hair and see if that help's .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip on the door pins. I'll check that before adjusting the doors.

Is the door striker adjustable or just the hinges?

I have adjusted the doors on a toyota and a chevy truck. I remember it took a long time but was worth it once set up.

Before you start anything grab the door. Lift it up and down. If the door moves you need to rebuild your hinges. This requires taking the door off (a crayon used around the hinges will put the doors in the same position upon reassembly) then driving the pin out of the hinge. Once the hinge is in 2 pieces you can see the old bushings and replace them and the pin. Do not be surprised if you break a bushing or 2 when installing. Once the hinges are good you can align the doors.

Telling you how to adjust a door is easy. Doing the adjustment is harder.

All adjustments are made with the hinges. You have some bolts with the heads inside the cab and some that the bolt heads are outside the cab.

To move a door closer to or away from the cab the bolts holding the doors to both hinges need to be moved. Be aware, you can make the top a different distance from the body compared to the bottom of the door. This is an annoying adjustment.

To move a door up or down you need to move the hinges where they are attached to the body.

This is something that can be done. It is not hard but can take a lot of adjusting to get right.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
I did not think of the door striker. On most vehicles it is also adjustable.Loosen up the bolts and you should have a little wiggle room. If I remember correctly it mostly moves in and out not in the up and down direction. That is the last part to try adjusting. Only after getting the doors lined up would I adjust that. If the doors were all in the correct position and to tight I would adjust the catch in the doorjam. The catch in the door itself is not adjustable.

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Yes the striker is adjustable on mine I had to make the adjustment even bigger to get them line up and close properly. Use a torx to loosen it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.