Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my CP3 took a crap on me and talking with Industrial Injection I ordered there 85% cp3. I also have there silver bullet turbo (about to install it) but I am still running stock head studs and stock injectors. Due to funds right now I can only upgrade my head studs or injectors. So my question is which one should I go with first? I am thinking I should do head studs first so that I don't blow a head gasket. At the same time I'm afraid of blowing a tip off an injector and having it fall into the cylinder, has anyone had this happen? Like I said I can only afford to do one or the other right now but I am going to do both when I have the funds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just with the higher pressure of this cp3. I've heard of guys messing up there nozzles running higher pressure like that but not blowing a tip off. I dunno if anyone on here has done it or how likely it is to happen. I was thinking worse case a head gasket is easier and cheaper to repair then the problems that come with dropping a injector tip. But if I am going to be fine running stock injectors for a little awhile I definitely want to do head studs first.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Injectors first IMO. I ran 52 psi on stock head bolts for a year with absolutely no issue. Not sure if you have the 62 or 64 but I'm guessing the 62 here...I had a 64 with the waste gate turned all the way out. You want to match that air with some fuel. You won't blow a head gasket as long as you're smart with the way you drive it. Allow a couple heat cycles before you boost it. I don't even move my truck unless it's over 120 and won't exceed 20 psi until she's all the way warmed up. Been running 75 psi for 2 years now on the stock head gasket with some studs. Truck makes 769 on a mild tune/Flux 4s and 936 with the R5s and an aggressive tune. Bone stock long block still.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
You realize how long it takes these trucks to get to 120* this time of the year lol. Plugging them in only get to 100*. Mine can idle for 15 min and it doesn't do anything. Quickest warm up is to drive it but baby it while driving and keep boost below 15 psi.

Best advice to give regarding temp is make sure your timing isn't high! That will blow a head gasket faster then high boost. Ask me how I know lol.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
What?? It's not warm there? Oh wait I'm in Brazil, I forget what it's like up there...forgot it gets cold. We'll if it doesn't warm up then stay out of it! And yeah timing is just a little important :hehe: hopefully his box tuner isn't too far off..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bigslacker your not the only one I know of that has ran stock head studs that way and have been fine. But if I won't do damage to my stock injectors while running the 85% cp3 I'm thinking I'm gonna go with head studs and do 125 nozzles later. As much as I want to do the nozzles I want to play it safe. I use my truck as my daily driver and don't like having to drive my beater car. Oh and its 85 here in Texas so it is nice and warm. Once I get my truck up and running again I'm gonna get it on the dyno.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
Not to turn the thread around but I'd look else where at other companies in buying a cp3. You'll be mad when that pump struggles to pump out 150's on a hot tune. Save your money man. Buy it from Fleece, Motorsports or Exergy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.