Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my 92 w250 since sept 2010 and have only got 400 km to a tank since then I have rebuilt the tranny changed all of the filters a few times put a new lift pump on and got a new rebuilt injector pump. Now I've been reading this forum for a while now and am seeing guys say there getting more than 20 mps. My buddy thinks it's the injectors but I want some more opinions before I invest in injectors and no it doesn't smoke.

·
Registered
323 Posts
ya dude. mine is the same way. i'm getting like 15mpg on a good day. i have always wondered what the problem is. i have done upgrades, but it hasn't helped.

·
1ST GEN
11,557 Posts
Ive had my 92 w250 since sept 2010 and have only got 400 km to a tank since then I have rebuilt the tranny changed all of the filters a few times put a new lift pump on and got a new rebuilt injector pump. Now I've been reading this forum for a while now and am seeing guys say there getting more than 20 mps. My buddy thinks it's the injectors but I want some more opinions before I invest in injectors and no it doesn't smoke.
What brand of converter?

·
Super Moderator
24,819 Posts
Alot depends on your right foot, try driving like grandpa for a tank. If you have over 200,000 miles on your injectors it's probably time for new ones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i get 650kms to a 90 litre tank mixed, 700+ highway , thats 17/19mpg, it took alot of tinkering and i made my own fuel pin several times

·
Registered
36 Posts
14l/100

that translates to 20 mpg (cdn gal) city driving at the speed limit. Yes its a bit boring but this was a test (driving habits inline with my white hair). Not to say I don't like booting it along once in awhile - but that has its place. I will be taking a quick trip to BC later this month and will report on the fuel economy again. I tend to drive 10+ on the highway.

·
Registered
585 Posts
When you read that someone is getting 20 mpg plus, you need to assume several things:

1. D250...2wd.
2. Strictly Highway Miles.
3. That doesn't happen every tank...but could be the best they ever got and now they repeat it to anyone who will listen.

I got 18 MPG once with my w250...and it was on the highway where I did 75 for the entire tank.

Around town I get ~15-16, no matter how gentle I drive it, 16 seems like a good # for a big assed heavy truck with no aerodynamics to speak of and 12.5 inch wide tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree - this is not a typical example but as I said - a test with a very light foot; easy acceleration, no pinning it to see the "black". But that said it is not far off the normal of 16-18 litters per 100 i normally get in the city. It is curious though that the highway "economy" stays about the same; around 14 - 16 litters per 100. On the other side - a fellow at work has the same truck in the D250/5 speed - and reports 22-24 mpg; with camper on board and tugging a boat. I think a better comparison for fuel utilization would be $$/hour; which would peg mine at around 18 bucks an hour. I have always used that when considering trips etc - yes travelling by bus would be cheaper - but really boring.
And I could add that once when moving my daughter from university; winter (-25 C) fully loaded in the shell and tugging a Uhaul I calculated 20 litters per 100 - which I considered that under the nasty driving conditions was really decent. Combination of cold and constant idling for the 10 hour trip makes a huge difference. Winter driving always kicks the slats out of the fuel economy. Also take into account the 20% larger CDN gal vs the US; so at the end of the day our numbers may be similar.
For my truck the magic number seems to be "keep it under 2000 rpm on the highway" and while the full acceleration shift point may be 2650 rpm and fun; a lighter foot gets me much better distance per tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.