Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
AFTER TAXES....
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help1:
So IM driving home from work at 530am. I feel a slight vibration for a couple seconds and dont think much of it--rough pavement. Then it starts back up, sounding almost like a flat tire. I pull over ASAP-within 100 yards or so-and look at all my tires-No flats. Hmm ok. Walk around truck and see 4 lugnuts lying on the ground. Oh *#$.:vomit007: Front Left Tire is the victim. There is ONE Lugnut left. The four that I found have the STUDS broken off in them. There was only 2 (or 3 my memory is limited with my anger level) studs left--the others broken off.

1) WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED/CAUSED THIS??

2) WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO FIX IT??

3) HOW CAN I CONFIRM THE OTHERS ARENT ON THE LINE OF DOING THE SAME THING??

NOTE-New Tires and Wheels were put on back in February. Ive had no sign of any problems.

:CRY::CRY:

Im going to bed now--have to go back to work tonight with no day off in sight for the next 2 1/2 weeks
Hope to see some good info when I wake up this afternoon.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
Sorry, but here goes...

1) Aluminum wheels have the tendency to loosen once seated in, and without re-torque this can be a result.

2)Go to every parts store in town, scrounge up 7 studs (I have NEVER been able to get all eight when I needed) knock out old studs, or what remains, knock the new ones in from the backside. When you knock these in, you have not much room to hit them, putting a steel wheel (spare) on the hub and pulling them in is handy.

Note: If someone else reads this, help me remember if the hub/wheel bearing has to be removed to do this? I know the brake rotor is held on by the hub, but maybe there is an indention to remove the studs:confused013:

3) Take a torque wrench to the rest of them, 140ftlbs is my liking on aluminum.:thumbsup:

You can call me, I will help you all I can. Chris :headbang:

·
On call 24/7
12,576 Posts
Maybe you pi$$ed someone off and they were getting even. Somebody took all the lugnutts except 1 off my brothers truck one time. I was walking by and just happened to look down, thank God he hadent driven it that day.

·
Registered
623 Posts
:doh:damn that sucks.... I think my local napa keeps plenty of studs in stock, if you want I can pick some up and help you get it back together considering I'm not far from you:thumbsup:

Parker

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,207 Posts
this is awsome guys that dont even know each other willing to drive and help...i would say if they broke they where 2 tight..and i would check the rim and make sure the holes arent reemed out now...

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts
Normally when I do any kind of tire work I ALWAYS break out the big torque bar and got around all the lug at least 120 FT/LBS of torque (measured).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Aww shucks! I didn't have any studs break off it was just that i didn't do a re-torque. I had just blown by some guys chaining up at the bottom to the hill.:doh:

Not fun

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
There are spaces on the back side of the hub assembly where you can put the new studs in. The studs are what hold the rotor to the hub. I just use open ended lug nuts to pull the studs through. I have never changed studs withe the hub still on so I am not sure how hard it is with the axel in the way. I am sure it can be done just will take a little longer. Good luck!

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
this is awsome guys that dont even know each other willing to drive and help...i would say if they broke they where 2 tight..and i would check the rim and make sure the holes arent reemed out now...
Ha ha ha! To tight! That's a good one!

·
Registered
956 Posts
i would say if they broke they where 2 tight

go loosen your lugnuts and tell me all of the studs stay on your truck

when they come lose they start snapping off because the wheel is no longer centered, it wobbles, in turn stretching them sideways and breaking them

also, sorry to say but if it went that far, chances are you will need to buy a new wheel, it is a sad thing but if you hogged that wheel out even the slightest bit, and try putting it back on, it will do the same thing because the new lug nuts won't hold the wheel correctly

it is an unfortunate incident, but that's why you always have to retorque your lugnuts, especially if you have aftermarket wheels!!!! aftermarket wheels are much more prone to this because they are make of a sifter aluminum that can actually get squished by the lug nut and get thinner, it only happens for a while, but you must check your lugnuts!

I normally check my lugnuts on custom wheels about 100 miles after I rotate them, and then before ever trip out of town

·
Registered
324 Posts
the hub has to come off to change the wheel studs in the front but not in the back( just pull the drum off) i go threw them alot with the wheel offset/tire size on my truck...fronts..break the axle nut loosefirst b4 u jack it up, pull the caliper off, on the back side of the hub there is 4 12 point bolts that hold the rotor/hub assembly to the knuckle pull those out and then the axle nut u broke loose and the whole assembly will slide off. i use an old rotor to lay on the ground and then lay the new hub/rotor assembly on top of it ( faceing each other)to pound the new studs in from the back. and make sure u check them after driveing it for a day or so then about a week later. lug nuts have a mind of thier own and come loose depending on ur driving habits.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Like already stated, make sure the holes in your rim aren't galled up at all, otherwise replacing studs will become a reoccuring problem. Once the lugs don't seat right, they never will, and will always have a tendency to loosen.

And when ya go to take the hub off, it can be a real PITA. Try searchin on here for hub replacements, some pretty good advice. I had a terrible time getting mine off. Ended up readin up on here and using a socket and extension against the frame. Turn the wheel and use the P.S. to push on the bolts, a little at a time

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ok when putting studs in there is no reason to remove anything. You can use a standard lug nut (basically a nut, open on both ends) to "press" the stud in. I have done it a thousand times will no ill results from it.

My lug nuts don't loosen up though. They are still tight when it comes time for rotation. But i torque them all down good too.

One of the most common stud failures i know of is from tire shops. Sometimes their help gets lazy and impacts the lug nuts back on, way over the torque specs.

·
Registered
804 Posts
When I had my aftermarket tires and wheels mounted and put on, everything was fine for about a month. Then I had 1 lug break off w/the stud. Went to rotate the tires and 2 more broke off.I've had to replace a total of9 studs and I attribute it to TIRE KINGDOM over tightening them.
By the way, 3rd gen studs are not aftermarket yet and at $13.00 each from the Steeler, I was pretty bent.

On a funny note, when I was 16 me and by buddy was taking out 2 girls in my new T/A. We were the coolest, right? I had a broken stud replaced earlier that day. Low speed cruise, jammin to the tunes along the marina and then a terrible sound, some sparks as we come to a stop.I look to the right as my Enkie wheel and tire was rolling about 20 miles an hour towards the riverdock!!! Thank god it hit a tree!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts