Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put an 8.3 Cummins in one of these trucks? I've never seen one. If so, what kind of numbers can you get out of them? Any bolt-on upgrades for them?

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Ive heard of it being done, have to either search the frame and make the front fenders longer or some fire wall work with a hammer lol. Never seen pics. Sounds like a cool swap

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I would think an 8.3 would just be to much weight for the swap to be useful. After all plenty of people are pulling over 700hp with the 5.9

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats kind of what i was thinking. I'll probably go the opposite way with a 3.9. Just want something a little different. And there's nothing wrong with an extra Cummins truck laying around. lol

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Dont have the actual details but have heard the 8.3 is just a fatter 5.9 and would likely fit with some hammering on the fender wells :)

But, again on the weight thing, they weigh a ton (almost 500# more than a 5.9) and the 1200# b5.9 is already too much weight for these front ends (both the actual axle rating and as far as keeping the rest of the front end from falling apart)

But, if you could maybe setup a dana80 and custom suspension in the front it would make for one hell of a head turner!

As far as performance parts, the old 8.3s commonly used a p-pump which as we all know are free to modify to a point, then aftermarket parts take it from there. Not sure what you would be able to do for turbo's though, that might be a pretty tight squeeze!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts