Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 4 inch suspension lift. It came with a 350 with 4 speed man. I put in a 455 olds with a turbo 350. Not enough power. I would like to put a 5.9 in with a 4 speed manual. Can this be done? Where can I find a decent 5.9 turboed, and a adapter plate? I am a pretty good fab guy so any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Check out the clasified ads. More spacific the 12 valve section. Welcome to the addiction!:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
12 valve and a nv4500 and you got a nice rig. Depending how far you wanna go a nv 5600 would be the best trans to run. You would want to beef up the front suspension and steering for the added weight I bet. Would be a nice truck

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What are you using the truck for? If you like the throttle response, you might be disappointed with the diesel, but if you're hauling stuff around you might like it. And use a 5-speed behind the Cummins, you'd hate a 4 speed.
The stock 455 had between 300-400hp, and the torque rating is something ridiculously high, 4-500...correct me if I'm wrong on these numbers. I've owned several BBC's, but I made the switch due to the fact that even on diesel I spend about 4K a year, so you can imagine what gas would cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 valve and a nv4500 and you got a nice rig. Depending how far you wanna go a nv 5600 would be the best trans to run. You would want to beef up the front suspension and steering for the added weight I bet. Would be a nice truck
Sorry but I'm a new Dodge guy what is a nv4500 and a nv 5600 tranny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you using the truck for? If you like the throttle response, you might be disappointed with the diesel, but if you're hauling stuff around you might like it. And use a 5-speed behind the Cummins, you'd hate a 4 speed.
The stock 455 had between 300-400hp, and the torque rating is something ridiculously high, 4-500...correct me if I'm wrong on these numbers. I've owned several BBC's, but I made the switch due to the fact that even on diesel I spend about 4K a year, so you can imagine what gas would cost.
I'm not new to diesels I am a diesel mechanic. I do alot of tractor pulling and I see alot of farm super stocks running slightly modified 5.9s putting out 400hp easily. I would use the truck mostly for pulling.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sorry but I'm a new Dodge guy what is a nv4500 and a nv 5600 tranny
4500 is the 5-speed, 5600 is the earlier 6-speed.

I'm not new to diesels I am a diesel mechanic. I do alot of tractor pulling and I see alot of farm super stocks running slightly modified 5.9s putting out 400hp easily. I would use the truck mostly for pulling.
Ahh ok, would've been good to know this beforehand :doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts