Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, first post here, and I'm asking prematurely but I just got my Travelall cab on the Dodge drive train, shortened the frame from 155" wb down to 119 3/4" (was aiming for 120") pretty soon I will be moving the engine back 2 1/4" I could move it more but im trying to avoid massaging the freshly painted firewall. I'm trying to not lose or have to use a different intercooler.

I've been told 24 valve engine mounts would scoot the engine back several inches, does anyone have any info on this? I know I'd still have to scoot the trans xmember. Also is it possible to gain a couple of inches by shortening the fan clutch and/or a slimmer fan? I'd prefer not to lose the mechanical fan but I've read these 12 valves wont overheat unless idling for awhile with no fan. Here's some photos, enjoy!

I think the dash removal i enjoyed the least, I was as careful as possible but could not prevent the inevitable and broke quite a bit of that brittle old plastic dash, currently repairing it with Evercoat Fibertech to be reused in the Travelall.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Dimensions of the 24 valve are the same, it stands to reason the engine mounts would be the same as well. If you search dauntless89 did a electric fan install and followed it up with data. The only time you can get away with no fans is in the winter and not towing. No, the stock fan arrangement can't be set back or shortened.

Reactions: 6BTravelall

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dimensions of the 24 valve are the same, it stands to reason the engine mounts would be the same as well. If you search dauntless89 did a electric fan install and followed it up with data. The only time you can get away with no fans is in the winter and not towing. No, the stock fan arrangement can't be set back or shortened.
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find anything to back up the claim and photos of 12v mounts 24v mounts appeared the same but my buddy swore that there was an increase in how far the blocks set back. Still a little early but I read an 89-93 fan clutch is supposed to be shorter (supposedly would hit the water pump) once I'm too that point I might start experimenting with something like that and a thinner fan blade etc.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
I read an 89-93 fan clutch is supposed to be shorter (supposedly would hit the water pump) once I'm too that point I might start experimenting with something like that and a thinner fan blade etc.
I doubt there is much, if any, difference in the fan clutches. Good luck finding a thinner fan that will mount. Maybe pusher fans in front of the CAC will fit. You might have to delete the CAC completely. The first Dodge/Cummins were not intercooled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was messaged by another member about the conversion section, makes sense, I will be sure to post in there thanks man.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
You sure picked what looks like a nice 2nd gen dodge to sacrifice for the cause. The paint & body on your donor truck looks better than 90% of the 2nd gens I see driving around. Hope you're selling the cab to some rust belt truck owner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sure picked what looks like a nice 2nd gen dodge to sacrifice for the cause. The paint & body on your donor truck looks better than 90% of the 2nd gens I see driving around. Hope you're selling the cab to some rust belt truck owner.
It was my daily driver, I actually tried to sell the complete body minus dash and wiring for $750 after about 30 craigslist flaked I decided to part out, so far have only sold the box, rear sliding window, and both bumpers. Located in Gilbert, AZ if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
I was fairly sure of this when I posted yesterday, but I confirmed it today. The fan clutch fins extend forward of the fan. Trying to find a thinner fan is a waste of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i don't see there being a thinner fan option, im still in the air on it but leaning towards scooting the engine 2 1/2" back and just losing the intercooler. If I stumble across a set of 24v mounts I'll go that route and bash in the firewall. Heads up, based off the hole positions it appears the 24v mounts would scoot the engine back 4 1/2" I've found no info online to backup those numbers but comparing the 2 mounts and the spacing I'd say its safe to bet they would shift the engine back that distance.

From the passenger side of the 12 valve there are 3 bolts to the right of the frame mount, there is a 4th bolt holding the battery ground to the block. 24 valve mounts is more centered with 2 bolts to the left and 2 to the right of the frame mount.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
I suggest you measure the distance between the fore and aft bolt holes on the mounts. I don't think it is the same. i would lose the fan and fan clutch before I would lose the intercooler. Fabbing up a couple of good electric fans would be my preference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12 valve and 24 valve blocks are essentially the same, the 24 valve mount is more bulky so I could see why it would appear that way but I could not imagine, especially with all of the universal Cummins mounts, the holes being different. Im now pondering (lol) ditch mech fan, and possibly relocate intercooler underneath the engine with some airscoopage.. probably sounds a bit crazy but I'm all about ingenuity

·
Registered
687 Posts
Are you going to be towing with it? Electric fans seem like the way to go here and you can get them pretty thin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you going to be towing with it? Electric fans seem like the way to go here and you can get them pretty thin.
I won't tow much, a 6x12 enclosed trailer when we move, after that I might tow a small boat occasionally nothing over 5,000 lbs. Yeah its going to be tight if I don't move the engine back, im looking at two 10" fans smooshed between the rad and grill, then two small fans if i can fit one in each corner behind the rad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts