Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired a 1973 crew cab and want to slowly start converting it to a 6bt cummins. Plan is right now to find a wrecked 89-98 dodge 5.9 diesel truck with preferably a 5sp. Crew cab is a 4spd. Am i on the right track? Anything else I need to look for?

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,698 Posts
Prob good idea to start looking around for a disc conversion for the front.

Might be best served finding a wrecked diesel donor and upgrading everything you can.

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice, never thought about the brakes. I would like to find a donor truck but would buy a engine/trans if I found one cheap. I have quite a few other newer dodge's around to steal parts of if need be.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Looks like a fun project. I would go with a donor truck just makes everything a little easier. Before i do my next swap i am going to have a donor.

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok donor truck it is, funds won't be a big of holdback as time as I already know this will be a 3+year project. I found a 93 dodge 2wd with a 5spd for $3k but its just too nice to hack apart. I just looked at your truck pics JakeDiesel, very nice! A ex of mine used to have a truck just like that with a v6 5spd, brought back memories!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice looking truck i dont think i have ever seen a full 4 door like that one should be a fun build, keep us posted.

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking truck i dont think i have ever seen a full 4 door like that one should be a fun build, keep us posted.
Thanks, it will be a incredibly slow process though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look in the 89-93 non-powertrain. There is a couple crewcab builds in there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know how the slow projects go, I'm working on a slow project now. :lol4: Need to get my ars in gear.:buttkick:

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what does even think a good price is for a donor truck. Going to be looking for a 4 x4 with a 5 speed

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just picked up one for 300$ running but the trans needed some attention so for a running motor, rebuildable trans, 205 Tcase, and dana axles front and rear. That is a steal, i would think anywhere from 1,000-3,000 is about going price depending if it is wrecked or not, and depending on milage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just kept watching ebay and craigslist. There is a website the lets you search multiple cities on craigslist. 1-3k sounds reasonable, less money for less desirable more money for the perfect setup.

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks, i've been finding them for right around the 3000 mark. I'm in Canada too and prices are always higher

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just kept watching ebay and craigslist. There is a website the lets you search multiple cities on craigslist. 1-3k sounds reasonable, less money for less desirable more money for the perfect setup.

Here's a site you might like, lets you search craigslist, kijiji and usedeverywhere sites:

Canadian version:
SearchUsed.ca

American version:
SearchUsedUSA.com

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Picked up a 1992 dodge 4x4 club cab diesel 5spd on the weekend. Bought it unseen as the body was supposdly completly destroyed. Went to pick it up and its not bad at all, don't know if I can bring myself to hack it apart so going to keep looking for a wrecked one for now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hack it up man, the 73 will be much cooler, :lol4:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tough call. I bought a extended cab 93. I had reservations about parting it out but it was a 2 wheel drive and around here they are not very popular. In the end I took the motor and trans and sold off the rest.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The club cab long bed has the same wheelbase as the crew cab short bed- 149". You'd need to move the rear cab mounts back a bit, but if I were you I'd be putting that crew body right on the club cab frame. I've personally done it with a 1974 std cab on a 1990 std cab chassis, a 1966 Crew Cab Long bed on a 1990 std cab chassis (added 29" to the frame), and am now building a '74 ramcharger on a '93 frame (removed 25" from the frame). I also did a bunch of fab and electrical work on my friend's '73 std. cab Power Wagon with a '91 Cummins in it. Yours will be a fun project!!

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That may be the way to go, seems like it would better suit my skill level. Had to fix the VE pump on the 92 last week as a oil ring on the back blew out throwing fuel everywhere.

·
Cummins swapping freak
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I haven't really done anything with this truck yet as I really want a 81-85 style crew cab. Looking at cab pictures of the 73-80 crew cabs and 81-85 crews they look identical with the exception of a line on the front doors. So can I put newer doors into the 73 cab and have it look like a 81-85?? Doesn't seem like it should work but maybe?? I would use the 92 front clip and pick up a newer short box

1 - 20 of 59 Posts