Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what all has to be done to go from a 727 to a 46rh?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
46rh ie. non-lock-up A518, right?

I did the conversion on a 2wd.

You use the same crossmember, but you need a junkyard mounting plate that fits on the bottom of the transmission. I couldn't find a mounting plate, but you can make your own by drilling holes in a piece of 1/4 inch sheet metal. That was the only thing I had to fabricate.

Then you need to modify your driveshaft(s); the length of the overdrive transmission let me drop the dual driveshafts and go to a single driveshaft.

You need a new yoke to fit the output shaft of the transmission.

The only extra wiring required is for the overdrive; just give the overdrive 12 volts to operate. But, the two-prong overdrive plug is only used on 91.5-93 Diesels since everything else has a third prong for lock-up. So unless you have a better junkyard than the state of Arizona you're going to have to rig something to work there. I found a standard molex plug that with enough sanding around the connecter and finesse it decided to not fall out. Then I RTV'd it into the plug.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. how do u like the suncoast tranny. im talking w them right now about their tranny and converter.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
No problems with it so far.

Just don't loose the Bill of Lading they ship with the tranny...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts