Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

700+rwtq with just pump tuning.

3594 Views 43 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  da boss
Alright well today my buddy was talking crap cause when he gets his chip for his 7.3 he says he'll be making 700rwtq and i smarted off about how i could make it without buying anything else for my truck. So now weve got a $50 bet going with him also paying for my dyno run in about a month or so and was just curious what would be needed to do it. Ive got a timing light and everything so im tempted to retorq my headbolts and bump the timing a little bit plus put my afc arm back in and maybe grind me a #100 and then tune the crap out of it. Any thoughts of what i might actually put down? thanks ahead of time
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Cummins Power Addict
992 Posts
Well, considering the tst #12 plate I've got is rated just over 600ft/lbs, up from 440 stock rating... even from engine to rw ratings... I'd think you'd be around that mark already. Just my guess though, not an experienced opinion.

· Registered
562 Posts
Do either 0 or 100 plate. PUT the afc back in. Do all the AFC tricks (search). Do you have a boost elbow?
Dont run your plate Full forward ( the 215 pumps have timing retarded plungers that cut back timing at full boost). Set up your full fueling to around 20-25psi with shop air.

Better yet,
Check out this thread.
Bosch P7100 pump information (collected) - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
AND SEARCH! Especially on CompD.

You can make 400+ on your truck and easily 700ft/lbs of torque.

Cant say that much for your buddies truck. 7.3s are hard to get power out of with just abox.

ALSO,

GET THAT CLUTCH IN BEFORE THE DYNO!! You will lose MAJOR power without it. Only takes a couple of hours to do.

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No clue what the boost elbow is so will have to search it and the truck will be fully back together with the new clutch in it by the end of tomorrow. Btw im currently putting out about 40psi with no plate and about 42-43psi with the afc gutted and im not sure yet how to limit it.

· Registered
512 Posts
I dont have a guess for output, but am wondering bout your timing. Where is it know? Too much timing hurts the bottom end where the torque really shines, but helps the top end come alive. While lower timing hurts the top end but helps give grunt to the bottom end. someone else chime in here as I'm not sure how much or how drastic timing really does affect the torque, as i'm just going off what I was told when I asked bout running high timing.

as for the head bolts, I called Jeff Garmon and I think he told me to go to 135 ft lbs on used head bolts, mine wouldn't take more than 120, but I have orings too.

As far as the plate and afc arm, wouldn't you make more power with them out? If you do put the arm back in, I would grind the backside to make sure it moves far enough to give you full fuel potential for what it will do with the current state of tuning.

Jordan

· Registered
562 Posts
I dont have a guess for output, but am wondering bout your timing. Where is it know? Too much timing hurts the bottom end where the torque really shines, but helps the top end come alive. While lower timing hurts the top end but helps give grunt to the bottom end. someone else chime in here as I'm not sure how much or how drastic timing really does affect the torque, as i'm just going off what I was told when I asked bout running high timing.

as for the head bolts, I called Jeff Garmon and I think he told me to go to 135 ft lbs on used head bolts, mine wouldn't take more than 120, but I have orings too.

As far as the plate and afc arm, wouldn't you make more power with them out? If you do put the arm back in, I would grind the backside to make sure it moves far enough to give you full fuel potential for what it will do with the current state of tuning.

Jordan
You really talked to Jeff?
What the stock head bolt torque sequence then?

· Registered
512 Posts
Yes sir, thee jeff. He said new bolts-bolts, not studs-to 150 ft lbs. Kinda like his on the edge thinking though. He's not afraid to try stuff, or to make a 160 pump run.

· Registered
364 Posts
Depends on how your drive, Use your right foot to control it and you will be just fine, Oh wait your from Comp D you guys know EVERYTHING !!
your just now figuring this out.

And yes it is much better to tune the pump then to just gut it.

· Registered
512 Posts
Hmmm-dont think I'm letting the cat out of the bag here. Cant remember exactly, but go in lots of small increments. I got all mine to 120, then on the way to 125, one bolt kept moving way too far so I went back to 120 for all. Just torqued them in order following cummins specs.

· Registered
512 Posts
When you say putting out the fire-you mean with too much pre boost fuel, or even under full boost its too much fuel?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.