Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I did a search and got a few answers for this but heres what I got. I got the wire for left and right blinkers, reverse lights, Tail lights/running lights, and ground. Thats 5 of 7. What I did here was cut the factory connector off because it was broken and routed stupid.
I got Brown for Tail,
Yellow for Left turn,
Black for Ground (2 grounds both black)
A white with green stripe for back up
Light Green for right turn

Now I have a red and dark green wire. I put the multi meter on them and hit the brakes, turned on all the lights, blinker, I tried everything and didn't get any power to either of them. So my question is the one marked brake will actually come off a brake mnodulater correct? Thats the one that will control trailer brakes?
And what in the world is Auxiallery for? What wire would I hook to that and what does it control?

This is all for a 2007 CTD Ram 2500

·
Registered
44 Posts
its for a charge wire. if ya got a 5th wheel or something. when your driving down the road it will charge you trailer battery's.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The accessory wire is? OK SO whick wire do you hook to it to make it hot? and what in the world are those other two wires for?

·
Registered
593 Posts
yes the brake one only comes off brake controller it will only work if you have a brake controller i forget what colors do what though. . . i just redid the one on my friends CnC last week.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here's the color code from the service manual.

Park Lamp = Brown
Left Turn = Yellow
Right Turn = Light Green
Backup = White/Light Green
Brake = Dark Green
+12v = Red/Violet (thru fuse 19)
Ground = Black(2)

To brake controller from stop switch is a White/Tan. To brake controller from Fuse 12 is a Tan/Red.

I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But with no brake modulater the Brake wire won't do anything and I wasn't showing 12V on the Red one. But I will check the fuse and hook the red into the 12V aux. Shouldn't I leave the brake one untill I have a modulater?

·
Registered
157 Posts
You're correct, you won't have any power on the Dark Green one until you have a brake controller. You should have +12v on tghe Red/Violet.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
good to know, I need to hook up my charge wire. at least now I know which one it is.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wehn I check the 12V Hot lead should it be hot all the time or just when the key is turned on?
Also if a truck is not wired for a 7 PIN connector ahoud the 12V hot be hot all the time or just when the key is on?

And If I have a 7pin but no brake modulater does that mean I am already wired for a Modulater but just need to instal? Where are the wires under the Dash for the modulater?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
for what its worth this is what I used to wire the truck. I checked my trailer wire fuse and it is sure enough blown. I will replace it and put in a brake modulater and I should be GTG:

So considering the tuck is already wired for brakes where does the Green wire come out under the dash?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine was to the left of steering colum,under the dash and tucked in with a bunch of other wires.my truck is a 95 so I do not know if its the same.But if it was wirred from factory it sould be under their somewhere.Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
there is a whole plug under the dash for the brake control harness.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Here's the color code from the service manual.

Park Lamp = Brown
Left Turn = Yellow
Right Turn = Light Green
Backup = White/Light Green
Brake = Dark Green
+12v = Red/Violet (thru fuse 19)
Ground = Black(2)

To brake controller from stop switch is a White/Tan. To brake controller from Fuse 12 is a Tan/Red.

I hope this helps a bit.
is this diagram good for the 04 as well?

BTW there are 8 wires going into the plug harness, where do they go? what do they do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
One other thing, if you dont have power on the red wire it may be because the fuse is not installed. This is normal when the truck isnt shipped with a 7way already installed. Or you may have blown it when you cut the wire bundle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
all of mine work except for the tail lights and i can not figure why. i have tried all i can think of. its like a puzzle and the most importent peace is missing so i try not to pull a trailor at night. and that is hard to do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts