Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one swapped from a 93 dodge aftercooler to a 7.3 power stroke aftercooler? What year was it from? Was it a lot of fabricating? My stock dodge cooler is shot and new one is 595.00:shock:

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Continuing what Bobby said . . . The proper application of a true intercooler would be to install it between the primary and secondary turbos of our so called Twins set-up (technically twins is wrong, it's a sequential setup).

· Registered
1,171 Posts
sequential or compound?
Sequential is correct for that we call twins. One feeding another in sequence. ;)
I initially said both but I'm not sure about the compound. I think compound would be those operating in parallel. :confused013:

But then compound makes sense too.

I suppose I could Google it. :doh:

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to the question, what year ford aftercooler (intercooler) is used?

· Registered
309 Posts
'99-'03 powerJOKE's had the full aluminum intercoolers and are the ones you're looking for.

the technical term for an intercooler is a charge air cooler (CAC):bdh:

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Man we sure are getting technical in here. I have no real input I'm sorry.

But yes 99-03 7.3 stroke cooler with metal end tanks only. I think most of the ones that have the end tanks actually came on the early trucks it seems.

· Registered
820 Posts
anyone have a part number...i work at a ford dealer im thinking about ordering one but the parts guys prolly wouldnt like trying to figure out which has aluminum end tanks

· Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Back to the question, what year ford aftercooler (intercooler) is used?
Not sure how it will fit in your older Ford. It is thicker, wider, and taller than the stock 93 cooler. I turned the 2001 cooler I put into my truck upside down to make the inlet and outlet tubes line up closer to what the 93 was like and then had to cut out at the outer sides of the holes in the front sheetmetal about 3/4" wider. The feed tubes from the turbo and to the engine are larger as well and I replaced those with the larger sizes. I think the 93 was 2.5" and the ford 3".

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just installed a 2000 7.3 p/s intercooler in my truck. Had to fab up some lower mounts from 1" square stock. top mounts I cut off and rewelded to outter edge. Now have to upgrade from 2 1/2" to 3" hoses. Added intake elbow from 99 5.9.

· Registered
981 Posts
My truck runs hotter with the PS intercooler. Did any of you notice this with your trucks?

I don't have to run a winter front now.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My is not done yet, awaiting intake tubes. And Less road salt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.