Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing around with the Attitude monitor and noticed a few things that are kinda interesting. I put it where it showed the %load and watched that along with the EGT's. Driving in 6th gear at around 57 mph my egt's were about 1150 nad the % load was about 42. If I dropped it into 5th the EGT's would go down to 975 and load percent is around 36!! It looks like the trans should be staying in 5th not going into 6th. This truck will shift into 5th gear as low as 40 mph and it just lugs the heck out of the motor!!
Is there anything that can be done other than me shifting this like a stick?? IS this info dodge knows? I am sure that the rocket engineers have built this thing like this for a reason, but it is pretty obvious that the trans is not allowing the engine to run in it's optimum power range. If I had a clue it was like this I would have insisted on the manual!!!

Chris

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Interesting observation. I run in 6th when i can with my manual trans. Just to basically idle through town ar 40 MPH. Doesnt seem to help over driving in 5th instead after the new clutch.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Living in a town of nothing but hills I've developed the habit of using the ERS all the time, otherwise it would try lug at 1000rpm on a 30mph hill, 6th only gets used when on the highway over 70mph.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually drive around town in Tow/Haul and it doesn't lug like that.
Poblem I have found with that is it has such harsh shifts it feels like your neck is going to snap.

I sure love having information available on what the motors are doing!!

Chris

·
Registered
721 Posts
Poblem I have found with that is it has such harsh shifts it feels like your neck is going to snap.

Of coarse it's amplified when you try to use the E-brake unloade in tow/haul around town. My wife thought the truck was broken.:rof

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I had a clue it was like this I would have insisted on the manual!!!

Chris
Manual
:thumbsup

Auto's are a pain in the:butt:

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I use the tow/haul around town but cut the EB off when I am not running around twon over 40mph... I also have seen the same things and blame a bunch of mine on the fact I have 3.73 gears. I know I sure wish I had the 4.10's...

My truck gets better mileage around town than it does on the road, towing or not. Never once in my life have I ever had a vehicle get better mileage around town...

Just for the record, I wouldn't trade this 68RFE for any manual on the planet either. There has never been anyone back a trailer or done the hauling like this 68RFE allows and at ease too. If anything to change on this tranny, would be the torque converter... All and all though the 68RFE is a winner guys, for someone that works the hell out of a truck. With just over 116K right now on mine I would bet hard earned money I would have already had two clutches in this truck if was manual...

Besides all that, nothing worse than driving in really bad early morning traffic trying to find a place, drinking a cup of coffee and talking on the cell phone while trying to take a corner and grab a lower gear. Man this 68RFE with its flip switch and the tow/haul button; it makes one badd haul truck JIMO... I have shifted all the gears I care too LOL...
But then I am old, weak and gimpy and was born with a lead foot(thottle foot)

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
That is the torque converter slipping while you have your foot on the brake dude. Go to a big parking lot and do a stop and then just let off the brake and see what you get...

·
Registered
271 Posts
With just over 116K right now on mine I would bet hard earned money I would have already had two clutches in this truck if was manual...

But then I am old, weak and gimpy and was born with a lead foot(thottle foot)
Alot of pride mentioned here about the tranny. That's a good thing.

But my 5 speed stick got it's first clutch at 400,000 mi. How's that!
Never slipped a beat until the pressure plate flew apart on me.
Alot of pedal work happening there eh.
Heavy loads in mountain passes.
Yup, thats up hill and down from sea level to 5,000 ft. inland. Tranny had oil added once, it was still honey colored.
Love the stick, can always opperate at the RPM I want and need.

It is annoying in the city light after light.
But then again you all can keep your City out of my Country! :woot:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts