Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this really a good idea? whats the benifit of over filling the tranny, im sure if it were meant to hold 6 qt they would put the fill plug higher, anyway to my real question, do you guys put oil in it till it come out then move it to a side hill and put the other full quart in there?

·
On call 24/7
12,581 Posts
Its alot less messy to just pull the shifter out and add it there. The problem is if you squat the rear of the truck the front bearing doesnt get oil and burns up. They just werent thinking when they designed it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just drove up onto 8x8 blocks w/front and rear at same time (well, 4x4, then 6x6 then 8x8, i keep alot of dunnage around), then topped thru the top 'uphill' PTO cover bolt. I had already filled when level with factory fill plug. with this method I ended up jusy shy of the 6 qts.

I did this (the overfill) after reading up on the forums. I have no data with 'normal fill'

To stir the pot 'cause I only had 1 cup o' jo so far, I put in all Red Line MT90 and shifts like a dream, which was a major relief to me as when I dumped the 'factory lifetime fill' garbage when I got the truck (58k mi) there was a little grinding between 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6. NONE now.

Caveats: YMMV and I do not have a temp gauge on my transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts