Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping in a 6BT into my 74 chevy truck and have been having a hard time finding the answers i need to get all my parts ordered.

I have heard issues about bell housings (some have the slave mounted internal to the bell housing and some are external) sounds like i want an external just not sure which one that is?

Also heard of 5th gear nut issues on the dodge models just not sure what years or if i should just go with one of those and do the upgrade?

I also want to run a pass side drop 32spline NP205.

What years of the NV4500 will work for me? If i have to pull an output shaft and swap it thats fine i just want this thing done right the first time so its plenty strong.

I plan on about 350 RWHP initially but would like to do twins in the future to get around 500rwhp.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Prestige Worldwide
622 Posts
I am swapping in a 6BT into my 74 chevy truck and have been having a hard time finding the answers i need to get all my parts ordered.

I have heard issues about bell housings (some have the slave mounted internal to the bell housing and some are external) sounds like i want an external just not sure which one that is?

Also heard of 5th gear nut issues on the dodge models just not sure what years or if i should just go with one of those and do the upgrade?

I also want to run a pass side drop 32spline NP205.

What years of the NV4500 will work for me? If i have to pull an output shaft and swap it thats fine i just want this thing done right the first time so its plenty strong.

I plan on about 350 RWHP initially but would like to do twins in the future to get around 500rwhp.

Thanks,

Craig
IMO.... find a Dodge NP205 with the 29 spline input! Upgrade the 5th gear nut and read the threads concerning that issue.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
i used a nv4500 2wd unit, thats what my donor truck was, i took out the main shaft as it is alot longer than the 4wd unit and had moser axle cut and respline it for the ford 205, only cost 60 bucks to respline, 205 bolted right up

·
Registered
106 Posts
finding the dodge np205 can be difficult depending on your area, and sometimes not cheap. when i was searching people wanted their weight in gold for the damn thing. if you have the same issue grab an old chevy np205 and change the input shaft, might have to do some machine work to the t-case to fit the larger bearing but thats all for the t-case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like this is going to be a major PITA to round up the tranny and t case!

Can i get a dodge NV4500 and swap the output to a GM 32spline?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts