Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I am going to be adding a BD protect 68 plate/pressure kit to my 2011 soon. Afterward, if it is feeling good, I MIGHT bump up my tuning HP level a little bit.

Is there anything I can do to FORCE a re-learn?
Or, do I just drive it easy with as much up/down shifting as I can for the first 50-100 Km after the changes?
Does the truck automatically begin to relearn anytime the ECM is re-flashed? (SMARTY tune changes)
Does the re-learn period need to be one consecutive drive? Or are multiple starts/stops/days OK for this period?

Any and all help is appreciated!

-Jason

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the only re-learn the 68 needs is some normal driving without a trailer hitched onto it for 40-50 miles. I have tuned and re-tuned my truck and never worried about the trans re-learn, but like I stated, I didn't immediately start pulling my camper.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Is there anything I can do to FORCE a re-learn? There are scan tools that can initiate a relearn
Or, do I just drive it easy with as much up/down shifting as I can for the first 50-100 Km after the changes? Considering your CVI values didn't change this is the route I would take
Does the smarty allow you to bump the line pressure?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the smarty allow you to bump the line pressure?
No, the SMARTY does nothing for line pressure (or shift points either). The BD plate/pressure kit will raise my line pressure, but do nothing for shift points.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
It will only raise line pressures if you’re using the boost reference box.
You’re better off with going custom tuning to raise your line pressures.I’ve had both and it’s night and day.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will only raise line pressures if you’re using the boost reference box.

You’re better off with going custom tuning to raise your line pressures.I’ve had both and it’s night and day.
Yep, I have the kit with the boost reference module, not just the plate kit.

I already have a SMARTY, so custom tuning is not the best use of funds. Yes I understand custom tuning is better (for engine & trans) but it's not a cost-efficient upgrade for me right now since I already have SMARTY from when I deleted a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In the grand scheme of things, $600 for new engine & TCM tuning is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild. One thing I noticed with custom trans tuning is how well it keeps the truck at an optimal RPM. If you're cruising along on the highway and need to roll on to the throttle, just bumping the line pressure will dump additional heat into the OD clutches instead of dropping you down a gear like custom tcm tuning would. And while cruising around town, a trans tune will keep you from going into OD so quickly and bogging the truck down at lower speeds.

No to say the trans is going to get destroyed, buy you're leaving some functionality on the table sticking with the smarty

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the grand scheme of things, $600 for new engine & TCM tuning is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild. One thing I noticed with custom trans tuning is how well it keeps the truck at an optimal RPM. If you're cruising along on the highway and need to roll on to the throttle, just bumping the line pressure will dump additional heat into the OD clutches instead of dropping you down a gear like custom tcm tuning would. And while cruising around town, a trans tune will keep you from going into OD so quickly and bogging the truck down at lower speeds.

No to say the trans is going to get destroyed, buy you're leaving some functionality on the table sticking with the smarty
I get it, custom tuning has it's benefits, and I'm missing out on shift points and optimal RPM. These are things I've learned over in the performance and accessories section...

If you can find me a custom tuner that will do the engine and TCM, with my own hardware in-hand, I'll gladly drop the $600.
Cheapest I've found around here (Southern AB) is about $1200 (EFI w/autocal, no power dial, from CCS). That same $1200 gets me well on the way to a new steering setup...

I'm just looking for some advice on the in's and out's of a trans re-learn here...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe the transmission adaptives are cleared after reflash so basically the "relearn" starts immediately. Like Den52, I have loaded several tunes over the years and have never done an official trans relearn. Just drive it easy for 50-100 before you give it the beans or tow anything heavy.

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
3,603 Posts
Trans relearn is so the TCM can figure out how many square inches of fluid are required to apply a clutch packs effectively.
You need a directional diagnost tool capable of performing the relearn function.
You must then drive at less than 25% throttle, and shift 1,2,3,4,5,6....6,5,4,3,2,1 about 20-25 cycles. Then you can read the CVI values and see if they fall within spec.

L/R - 35 to 83
2-4 - 24 to 77
OD - 75 to 150
UD - 24 to 70

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Trans relearn is so the TCM can figure out how many square inches of fluid are required to apply a clutch packs effectively.
You need a directional diagnost tool capable of performing the relearn function.
You must then drive at less than 25% throttle, and shift 1,2,3,4,5,6....6,5,4,3,2,1 about 20-25 cycles. Then you can read the CVI values and see if they fall within spec.

L/R - 35 to 83
2-4 - 24 to 77
OD - 75 to 150
UD - 24 to 70
Cubic inches, it's volume.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input so far folks.

Maybe the TCM will re-learn after a flash, maybe it won't. Or, maybe it will do it less thoroughly without a proper scan tool that can force it?

In any event, I'll just take it easy without any towing for the first 100km. I'll.trynto keep it in town as best I can to keep the shifting happening.

Now, does anyone know if ignition on/off cycles affect it?
(will it stop 'learning' after the first shutoff?)
Or, is this transmission ALWAYS adapting?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Trans cvi values reset to zero after and ecm flash on the 68rfe. You then need to do the relearn procedure. That procedure is either stop and go driving at less that 30% throttle for 30-40 miles, making sure to go through all the gears, following the revmax relearn procedure they have on their site or doing the trans relearn in the ecm using a scan tool. All of these still require driving easy till the cvi values stabilize. The 4c value is the one to watch as it will take the longest to stabilize while driving. It seems to change up until the trans has learned your style.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts