Cummins Diesel Forum banner

68rfe issue when shifting

914 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  r4360 
#1 ·
I had my '07.5 2500 MCSB worked on recently with the full deletes, 5' tbe, anarchy efi live installed. I use the street mode on the efi. The issue I have is when i'm WOT the tranny seems to derate when it shifts. I was thinking that this might be normal as it would do this to save itself while shifting. I had a '07 5.9 that I bought brand new and it didn't do this, just ripped through the gears smoothly.Is there something with the 68 rfe that lets the power off right at shifting or is there something else amiss with it? Side note the efi is awesome and the truck had 68,000 when work was done. Bought it used with 64,000 on it. It towed 5th wheel before i got it. I don't tow but once and a while will get on it.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Call or PM Anarchy. They'll hook you up.

The 68rfe transmissions are expensive. Go easy on it if it's stock.

I don't remember if you put head studs in or not. Make sure you have some heat in the engine before you put your foot in it.

#5 ·
Thanks, I'll call them in the morning.

I baby all the vehicles that I've had. this truck shifts nice and easy when I drive it normal, just when it's WOT does it do that hiccup when it shifts. I always warm it up and drive is slow for the first dozen miles or so, even then I don't get on just nice and easy to highway speed.

I plan on the next investment to be ARP 625's. It's cheap insurance and a great peace of mind. The place where I had it worked on said the only time they see a Cummins is for deletes and tranny issues. They said the Revmaxx was great. Their bread and butter were the dozen or so fords that were sitting outside.

I no longer WOT it, the last time was when some snot-nose in a ford needed a lesson. Before I knew it she was going 100+ and not even straining. Now that was some power.plus I get 22mpg highway with just those few mods. How I love my Cummins!!!

Thanks for the information Skinnyvito, much appreciated!!

#7 ·
that's what it is. with it being a 6 speed, it'll do it very quick but in rapid succession. It's hard to keep track while driving and pointing it in the right direction, especially as the speedometer is ratcheting around the dial. I couldn't figure it out at first if it's the engine or tranny because the engine would blip, then come back, blip, come back. Nothing else would be a problem. It seemed to happen right at the shift. The force of the shift is just concerning that's all. If it's normal, ok. Just wanted other opinions.

Thanks everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.