Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if it is possible to switch from a 68RE to the G56 Manual...seems like if I were to get a new auto tranny and torque converter..might just do a full trans system swap.

Anyone ever done this or thought about it?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,060 Posts
its possible but may br cheaper to trade it for another.

·
Registered
326 Posts
considering this down the road as well.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The mechanics of it should be fairly straight forward - the electronics will be interesting to say the least. I would think the easiest approach would be to find a ECM from a manual truck or perhaps in the future someone will be able to do a custom flash for this type of swap.

I don't think the starscan will allow loading a manual flash on an auto ECM or the other way around, might be wrong though.

For reference check out the 68rfe to 48re story, it worked but seems to be stuck in torque management mode, probably has something to do with the TCM not seeing a transmission anymore.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yea I think the flash can be switched talk to H&S, they can do amazing things. I am pretty sure they had to do that to figure out my problem.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
The best way to do it is to find someone wanting to go manual to auto and just swap everything. To do this you'd have to make sure gears and auxiliary equipment were the same. The Braking ECU would need to be swapped as well. Parts of the cab harness need to be changed to in order for your cruise control to still work.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It's easier to go from auto to stick then vice versa.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Keven know anyone in portland area that I can talk to about this...and get some $$$$$ idea of what it would cost?

The only thing I am wondering if the ECM has to be changed..besides doing all the programming changes to the transmission system, if I changed it to a ECM with a manual set up. Wondering if the injectors would have to be reprogrammed with a star scanner.

:banghead:

·
CF Administration
8,844 Posts
Hey Keven know anyone in portland area that I can talk to about this...and get some $$$$$ idea of what it would cost?

The only thing I am wondering if the ECM has to be changed..besides doing all the programming changes to the transmission system, if I changed it to a ECM with a manual set up. Wondering if the injectors would have to be reprogrammed with a star scanner.

:banghead:
if I was you I would get ahold of reb at browns diesel I think they are in north cali so not to far off, if you put a new ecm on any 6.7 you have to reprogram the the ecm with the injector numbers I have seen it first hand

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Hey Tony, You could try talking with Rip at Source.

I've yet to talk with anyone that has actually done it though a lot of guys are considering it since a decent built auto doesn't look like it will be available anytime soon.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Tony, You could try talking with Rip at Source.

I've yet to talk with anyone that has actually done it though a lot of guys are considering it since a decent built auto doesn't look like it will be available anytime soon.
Yes that is my concern...figured a billeted 48RE is in the 7-8K region with a TC...wondering if I can get a manual fab swap. for less.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Yes that is my concern...figured a billeted 48RE is in the 7-8K region with a TC...wondering if I can get a manual fab swap. for less.
I would think so. The least expensive way would be to find someone that wants to swap.

·
Registered
468 Posts
so if i found a 6.7L with a g56 at a wrecking yard what would i need to do the swap? i know the trans and shifter and clutches but would i need the ecm?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've done the swap from a Suncoast 68 to a G-56 with 3600 SB DD and the G let loose so it now has a NV5600 with a 3850. Yes it can be done i have done it the SMARTY works miracles when doing the swap talk to Wagner or call Fleece, they are the ones that done mine.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Subscribing, i'd love to do this swap too

·
Registered
767 Posts
Go with the NV if you plan on having some HP and TQ

·
Registered
468 Posts
what is an nv? and how much did the swap run?

·
Registered
767 Posts
an NV 5600 is what early 05's and previous trucks down to, i think 02 had. 01 or 02. It is a metal housing instead of an aluminum housing or case. I did a little trading with a guy, my suncoast 68 for a used manual, sb clutch, and install. Cheaper than a built auto i can tell ya that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts