Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

'66 Power Wagon swap

24979 45
I am knee deep in my swap project, I have my '92 body off and will be setting my '66 Power Wagon body right on the '92 chassis (well it will be slightly more complicated than that) The body is off of the '92 and I need to do some mechanical repairs and maintenance to that chassis before I start the install of the '66 body. I need to install my rebuilt transmission(that is what started this whole thing) and new timing cover seals, rear main seal, oil pan gasket as well as a new water pump. These are all on the task list because they are just too accessable right now. One thing I see that will be challenging is the engine compartment of the '66 is about 3" shorter that the '92, and with no provisions for the intercooler in the core support. I'm not too computer savvy but I will try to put up some pictuers...if that doesn't work I started a photo set on Flickr.com to doccument the project if you care to follow this arduous task visually, my user name is 1960Phoenix.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,577 Posts
That is going to be sharp when you get it done.

· Cummins swapping freak
936 Posts
Got my tranny back today, without the cab this was the easiest trans instal ever. Next I will throw the transfer case back in and take the chassis to get steam cleaned....it needs it in a bad way.

Lookin good!!

· Registered
39 Posts
Awesomeness!!! Is the Power Wagon's bed a stepside (utiline) or widebed (sweptline)? That will definitely be cool! Here's a pic of my '66 crew cab on a cummins chassis- I've got another '67 W200 that I'm going to be putting a '90 Cummins engine/727 into- I've got the front and rear Dana 70's built and installed with power-lock limited slips, but am sidetracked on my '74 cummins ramcharger project. Very cool rig- keep it up!!!

Attachments

Reactions: Carpente42

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks gyman98 for getting the pic's up for me!
Powerwagoncrazy, that is a tough truck! Did you have any issues with engine compartment depth? The '66 is a bit shorter and with my I/C it is going to be a tight fit. Mine is a longbed sweptline as well, I'm about an hour away from Hubbard and would love to pick your brain sometime if that is cool.

· Cummins swapping freak
936 Posts
Thanks gyman98 for getting the pic's up for me!
Powerwagoncrazy, that is a tough truck! Did you have any issues with engine compartment depth? The '66 is a bit shorter and with my I/C it is going to be a tight fit. Mine is a longbed sweptline as well, I'm about an hour away from Hubbard and would love to pick your brain sometime if that is cool.
No problem, this is my '67 powerwagon.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Awesomeness!!! Is the Power Wagon's bed a stepside (utiline) or widebed (sweptline)? That will definitely be cool! Here's a pic of my '66 crew cab on a cummins chassis- I've got another '67 W200 that I'm going to be putting a '90 Cummins engine/727 into- I've got the front and rear Dana 70's built and installed with power-lock limited slips, but am sidetracked on my '74 cummins ramcharger project. Very cool rig- keep it up!!!
now thats a CLEAN sum buck right there boys

· Registered
39 Posts
Biscayne- pick away!!! I'd be happy to attempt to answer any and all questions you may have- my ramcharger is my 4th cummins conversion (at the ripe old age of 23, lol!!!). Mine all fit together pretty well- but I'll admit that a non-ic truck makes alot better sweptline donor! I did remove the stock fan and shroud for extra peace of mind, and am running dual pusher fans in front of the radiator, which seems to keep it plenty cool. There are 2 other cummins sweptlines that come to mind that both run intercooled motors- both post over at sweptline.org but I know BCW posts here as well- he actually has a thread in the conversions gallery for his '70 crew cab. Both he and the other guy notched their firewalls and moved the motor back to gain extra clearance for the intercooler, whereas mine didn't get cut... Gyman- nice truck! Good to see another sweptline owner here!!! Here's my '67 that will soon be a cummins/727 truck- got the parts, just haven't started yet...

· Registered
1,577 Posts
Unfortionatly, this ain't mine. It has a cummins in it.:drool2:

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome to see so many bad Power Wagons here.
Well I've got the new oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, as well as front and rear seals all installed. I think today is the day I will fix my steering box bracket, fix and reinforce the frame where it bolts on and then with any luck I will put the bed on and get it positioned.
I'm looking for a 12v Cummins oil fill tube, the one the cap screws on to.

And powerwagoncrazy, any 66/67 headlight bezels. or a good Poly motor laying around?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.