Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wow, you must be a 747 pilot.
What a collection of accoutrama, gadgets, gizmos and wires.
Fuel pressure, boost, egts and tranny temp over stock push me to the brink.
You are a better man than me, Gunga Din said Rudyard Kipling.
A legend in the making.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Banks iDash would be a nice addition. Get all the juicy air density info..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mishimoto used to make a 2-row radiator but I believe they use a 3-row design now. I wonder what the capacity of the 3-row is compared to the alternatives? I bought an eBay 4-row unit designed for a 2nd gen Ram at one point but it interfered with my BD intercooler. I don't know if it would have interfered with the stock intercooler.

Did a quick search and found this interesting paper: https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/HDV_engine-efficiency-eval_WVU-rpt_oct2014.pdf

They look at two diesel engines, and the smaller is a 6.7 "medium-duty" unit. According to their study, 29.2% of its fuel energy was converted to usable horsepower and 10% was rejected to the cooling circuit. I don't know which engine they were looking at specifically (I might be inclined to guess) and I'm betting that it is more efficient than our old 12V engines, but it's interesting information regardless. Let's say it's representative. That would mean that for our truck the crankshaft HP is 29.2/10 of the power rejected to the cooling circuit. Now assume 550hp wheel hp is approx 690 (=550/0.8) crank hp. That would mean heat rejected to the cooling circuit & radiator is 236hp (=690*10/29.2) which is 176kW which is 600500 BTU/hr. That's a LOT of heat. I like the idea of adding a secondary heat rejection circuit for the oil system but even a stout secondary cooler will probably only reject a relatively small fraction of the 60500 BTU/hr total heat rejection. I used one of the really nice Derale coolers for my transmission and my recollection is that it rejects something like 25hp peak (and that was spotty information, didn't list inlet temperature, airflow, ambient temperature, etc).
If you listen to Gale Banks' discovery of air density's effect on power and all the race records he's set over the last several decades, you'd discover that one of the main reasons for power loss is due to low air density. He raised the bar at Pike's Peak and with all the mods done to the race truck at Pike's Peak (Super Turbo, 2500hp, 4000tq with a 14L Int'l diesel, instant acceleration, and no black smoke), he was able to achieve constant power through all the elevation changes with no density loss at over 14k ft elevation. The reasons for power (& heat) loss include poor air density, intake air temperature, altitude, ambient air density, and boost air density. More air density going into the engine means more power, regardless of how much boost you have. The hotter the air, the less dense it is, and less power results. Diesels get hotter when fuel is increased without an increase in air density. Hotter EGT's also means more heat is transferred to the oil and coolant, which then has to be expelled. If you increase boost air density (cooler air is denser air), the intake air temperature becomes more optimum, more fuel economy and power results, and more fuel is converted into energy. So if you removed 100% of that heat (but you probably won't be able to), your crank HP would be 936 HP, and wheel HP would be 786. 100% fuel efficiency at 690 CHP & 550 WHP(which would be almost impossible to achieve) I calculated to be 2,362 CHP & 2,222 WHP. So the more you can bump up air density, the more power and fuel economy you'll achieve. The denser the air, the more efficient the engine becomes while making power; less black smoke results, and less heat gets transferred to the oil and coolant. Also, I'd look into Banks Power intercooler and radiator. I don't currently see them listed for the 12 valve, but you might be able to call them and special order those 2 items for maximum cooling and air density.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kilamat done. Single layer all pressed down. Already did door panels years ago. Closed cell foam layer is next then new carpet, speakers, headliner and seats are being redone at shop including new foam from Geno's and seat heaters. Dash cap being fitted at this time also. Black for carpet, headliner and visors. Seats will be red and black vinyl pattern.
72sq ft kilamat was used. I just put it down the best I could.... Not for show anyway.
Oh wow, you even have the AFC Live from PDD installed!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Engine bay done.
I did a cold re-torque on the ARP 625's. I backed them off a quarter turn then took them to 150 ft lbs. After several idling heat cycles I did a hot re-torque. This time I went in sequence and pulled them to 155 ft lbs. Lines off, lines on. Lines off, lines on. Lot's of fun!

Valve lash adjusted to .10 intake and .20 exhaust using the companion cylinder method.

Heater core replaced also. I discovered it leaking while idling during heat cycling.

Seats next.

Attachments

Reactions: 56Cummins

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Looks like I pinched off the vacuum line to the climate control panel. I pulled it out and there is no vacuum on the black line. That line comes from the vacuum pump through the firewall by the heater core lines. I'm running a new line from the vacuum pump to the control panel to save having to extract the dash again. Off to McMaster Carr will call.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Running the new vacuum line worked like a charm.
Added the tire pressure monitor. I'm monitoring 13 tires while towing a triple axle fifth wheel with a dually. I use the extender module sold by the same company.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Started putting the seats in today. The front seats need new bolts because the carpet is too thick. Getting 10.9 grade metric bolts 1/2 inch longer. New factory foam from Genos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Painted the new Grille base coat clear coat. Installed with stainless hardware. Bumper next.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Interior is complete. New headliner, carpet, dash cover, seats.

I have been tuning the compounds on the street for a few short runs here and there. I have them dialed in nicely and see 65psi boost easily. I have done a few rolling burnouts unintentionally. The AFC Live allows me to dial the smoke out. This 215 pump maxed and balanced with the 7mm DV's and the 5x14 vco's are a perfect match for the k27 over 362sxe Power Driven Diesel compound kit!!

Attachments

161 - 171 of 171 Posts