Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks for the heads up about the anti seize. It's actually ARP lube, but on second thought I might clean it all up and use 263 locktite.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just put a oil cooler on my truck right below the intercooler. It has 2 fans and draws about 650cfm. Fit right behind the bumper.

Also, just on a side note, I have a build very similar (nearly identical). Built it for towing. My problem now is engine temp. I focused so much on keeping the EGT's cool that I kind of pushed off the engine cooling. I have a new radiator, bypass hose, and water pump. Still would over heat and had to drop down to 40 mph. Since then I have switched my coolant ratio from 65/35 (antifreeze/water) to 35/65. I have also added the oil cooler. Haven't hooked up to my camper yet but I am hoping this solves the occasional over heating. It only happens when I am pulling at or above about 550hp for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just put a oil cooler on my truck right below the intercooler. It has 2 fans and draws about 650cfm. Fit right behind the bumper.

Also, just on a side note, I have a build very similar (nearly identical). Built it for towing. My problem now is engine temp. I focused so much on keeping the EGT's cool that I kind of pushed off the engine cooling. I have a new radiator, bypass hose, and water pump. Still would over heat and had to drop down to 40 mph. Since then I have switched my coolant ratio from 65/35 (antifreeze/water) to 35/65. I have also added the oil cooler. Haven't hooked up to my camper yet but I am hoping this solves the occasional over heating. It only happens when I am pulling at or above about 550hp for more than 2 or 3 minutes.
What comes to mind is system design limitations.
Of course it could be turbo, fueling or some other item or combination.
Hope you find out and let us know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The point I was trying to make is that pulling with 550-600 hp is difficult because of cooling issues. So pulling a 5 mile long pass at 8% at 70mph with a GVW of 20k+ is hard on these older 12v's. Regardless if your EGT are staying at 900, your coolant temps are going to rise. I think the only real solution to this is an auxiliary oil cooler. This is the one I used.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15845/

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That's a nice set up indeed.

This was my thought exactly. It's why I went with such a large oil cooler by CBR with Spal fans.

I do know that there simply isn't the cooling capacity for big HP long pulls but hopefully slightly above normal will suffice!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Once you are up to temp and pulling hard the oil is always at least as hot as the coolant. The only thing really cooling it is the factory exchanger behind the oil filter. It would be interesting to monitor oil temps to see just how much hotter than the coolant it gets. The coolers should go a long way to help in cooling the entire system.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Honda tried oil cooling in the 90's, switched back to liquid.
Oil does not exchange heat very well.
Suggest focusing on the radiator.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Honda tried oil cooling in the 90's, switched back to liquid.
Oil does not exchange heat very well.
Suggest focusing on the radiator.
Certainly agree.
Sooner or later the radiator is maxed and I guess you could move to robbing some heat from the motor through cooling the oil.
Maybe as auxillary it might offer some BTU relief?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Once you are up to temp and pulling hard the oil is always at least as hot as the coolant. The only thing really cooling it is the factory exchanger behind the oil filter. It would be interesting to monitor oil temps to see just how much hotter than the coolant it gets. The coolers should go a long way to help in cooling the entire system.
I agree. That's the plan. I dont know what other modifications one can add to these trucks to accomplish further cooling. I have tried looking into a larger radiator but there is just absolutely no room for an increased capacity radiator.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I see Mish makes one but I'm not sure how much of a cooling capacity upgrade it is so much as a reliability upgrade.
My Griffin in my 3rd gen is most definitely a cooling capacity upgrade but I don't see one for 2nd gens.
Something worth checking out is a 6.7 thermostat. The center opening is larger for more flow. I have Cummins part numbers if you want. IMG_20190912_102339_1569431649667.jpg

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Those part numbers would be great.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Cummins part number 5292708 180 degree F.
Cummins part number 5292724 200 degree F.
There may be a 190 as well but this is just what my local Cummins place had.
The guy there said to watch because certain 5.9 head castings will make contact in the area below the flange because of the wider body. this can be fixed by touching protrusion on the casting with a die grinder. Mine was fine and I could twist it around and not make contact.

·
Registered
17,224 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Actually water conducts heat better, and why you shouldn't over mix your coolant. The coolant is there for corrosion protection, and to lube the pump.

My Griffin Radiator holds an extra gallon more than my Mishimoto, and fit perfect.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for posting GAmes and Gator1, may have to make a new radiator purchase. And great idea with the 6.7 T-Stat! Hadn't thought of that! I am no thermodynamics expert but I thought I read a chart that while antifreeze is better at removing heat it is also harder to remove the heat from antifreeze. I'll look around and see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
For optimum cooling straight distilled water is the best, but your radiator will corrode. Racers don't care they buy new stuff every year!

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
I did a little googling and found that water does transfer heat better than antifreeze. Antifreeze is an essential ingredient in the cooling system for street driving however, so I wouldn't eliminate it. It is not only for corrosion and lube, it also raises the boiling point of the mixture in conjunction with the pressure of the radiator cap. Finding the balance for freeze protection and summer use could be tricky. This summer I have poured in some Red Line water wetter and it seems to work. My summer towing temps have never been high enough to force me to turn off the AC.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Gee whiz
And I've already bought the Mishimoto!
Now, should I sell it on eBay and get the Griffin or perhaps the Icebox? That's the question. I do know the Mishimoto increases boiling point with a higher psi cap.
I wonder what the cap psi is on the Griffin and the Icebox?
Additional gallon sure is significant increased cooling capacity!

61 - 80 of 164 Posts